PG pan leaks!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty30

I am sick and tired of my PG leak...I bought a new cheap chrome pan and removed the OEM pan thinking it was warped. Got a new Felpro gasket and took my time replacing it with the correct torque and everything, a few weeks later I get the ole' PG tranny drip! I hate this,,,,any suggestions on how to solve this...perhaps a fabricated aluminum pan or something that has a stronger sealing surface ect....I see Moroso has a fab alum pan for $100 bucks...kind of expensive and dont need the chrome or alum shine if you know what I mean....any suggestions would be appreciated!

OIL

I usually glued a good cork gasget to the pan with weatherstrip adhesive and used some clear silicone on the other side and bolted it up and dont overtighten:)
I always use clear silicone in caulking tubes about $2.00 a tube for the good ge stuff, works for me and a lot cheaper than permatex, just duct tape the open spigot up and it usually keeps:D

if at first you dont succeed, ask for some help and keep trying , persistance will get you there someday:rolleyes:

Powerglides are notorious for leaking. There is a condition called PG burp, where the fluid from the converter drains back overfilling the pan and it spills out. Usually this happens when the car sits unused for a while.

Your leak may not even be in the pan gasket, a lot of leaks look like they are coming from there, but are actually from somewhere else. It could be the front o ring, dipstick tube, speedometer adapter, etc. They will all drip down onto the pan gasket and look like it is the cuprit.

Most transmission shops put the gasket on dry, and torque to 95 inch pounds. If you want to use some sealant, use a thin coating of 3M super weatherstip adhesive (called Gorilla Snot in the business :D)

I had a PG in a '64 Chevy and it was a year old car and leaked like you describe. My Uncle was a service manager at a local Chevy dealer, and even he couldn't get it to stop.

Don

MANY leaks are caused by over tightening.
And cheap gaskets.

I have had good luck applying a thin,even, coat of Silicone to the pan,
apply the gasket,and clamp in place with clothes pins for a couple hours.
Then apply a thin,even,coating of Silicone to the top face of the gasket
and let set up for a couple hours.Assemble without over tightening.

Works well on rocker covers as well.

Check the gasket surface to see if it is flat.
Might need some attention.

I own several drip trays. I like the plastic ones best because when you drive over them they don't get wrecked. This is my last resort for when all the techniques for getting a transmission pan to not leak, fail.

Bob's reply is killer....I have a geat drip pan. I apprecite everyon'e input and will take all the advise given...thanks! and remember "if it ain't rusted, it ain't real!

slippery stuff

Having spent 23 years in the transmission business, I can offer a little advice:

(1) Chrome is slippery. We would take a 3M Roloc disc and rough up the gasket surface so that the gasket would stay put.

(2) Don is right - if using a cork gasket, use some 3M weatherstripping adhesive to glue the gasket to the pan.

(2a) I know a lot of people have used silicone on gaskets, but silicone sealer works more like a lubricant - the gasket is more likely to squeeze out and leak with silicone on it than if it is installed dry, or glued to one surface.

(3) Check those pan bolt holes - if they appear to be pulled up (not flat) carefully flatten them out with a hammer.

(4) Again, Don is right - other leaks, like from the lever seal, or the filler pipe, will drip down onto the pan and appear to be the pan leaking. Also check the modulator and the servo cover. Best thing to do first is clean it off really well with solvent and compressed air, and observe the leak. You can use some cheap silver or gold spray paint temporarily on the potential leak points to help reveal the leak - the trans fluid will wash the paint off where it leaks out.

Good luck, as there really is not much charm in an old hot rod marking its territory!

440shorty

Latest posts

Back