Wire Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I may be hallucinating but I had thought I had read somewhere that really nice MIG welds can done using flux core wire with gas.

Is this true or was I dreaming?

With Flux Core, the smoke is intended to drive the Oxygen
in the atmosphere away from the weld until it cools.

Shielding Gas does the same thing, protecting
the weld from oxidizing while it is molten.

Used together,how is that going to be better ?

What?
dnsyof1fromiconness_supnei.png

Last edited:
I thought this was BS too and have to look into this more. The shop I was just working in had a Lincoln 550V mig and they were using fluxcore with gas. No one could tell me why, it's just how they've always done it. I turned off the gas to find out and the weld turned porous, then I switched to standard copper coated wire with gas and it was just like normal. I finished off the role and then had to go back to flux core because that's all they had. I really don't know why they use the flux core- always gums up the tip and you have to chip your welds. Also it's not like we're welding outside or in the wind. The flux core welds weren't cleaner than the regular wire, so I don't know what the purpose would be.

One idea I never thought of, it might be good for outdoors in breezy conditions. If the wind blew the gas away, you'd still have a useable weld. Well, in theory.

The welding shop I work at uses a flux core wire with C02 gas for very heavy steel projects for rock crushing equipment. The process is called DualShield. They told me the last spool of wire they used cost $600.00.

What I can tell you I can tell you is this. I am a supervisor for a railcar repair shop. We use the dual shield set up on everything but stainless steel and aluminum. From 1/8" steel to 3" steel. Naturally with different processes but the intent is the same. Codes have to be followed with the FRA and AAR for standards in repairing rail cars. To meet those standards it is more cost effective and efficient to use the dual shield wire. Granted we are using it on a 600V Miller welder with bulk gas supply (CO2). You can also use CO2 with a smaller welder (115V) it will cool your weld temps down so you might have to turn the heat up to make up for the difference, but it can be done! And it's cheaper than buying 75/25 (argon mix). The welds are easier to wet in with the soft wire (flux) and easier to run in all positions, to me anyway.

The process is done all over the welding industry, I remeber when we were converting some railcars into a different product line, that we were buying dualshield wire by the pallets and if I remember correctly we were paying $3000.00 per pallet. We ran ESAB wire and to date it is better than what we are using now.

It's early in the morning and I'm at work so if I'm babbling it's cause I'd rather still be in bed!! LOL

Latest posts

Back