Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth be told, It's therapy of a sort for most of us.
I'm in need of some shop therapy myself.:)
Your work looks great and very creative.
[P [P [P
Torchie

I haven't done a lot of work in the garage this summer. Two weekends ago I spent the whole weekend working on cars, and it was amazing how good it felt even though projects didn't go according to plan.

D’oh!! Looks like my “okayish” 312 isn’t that great after all. All the cylinders look good with no scores but the #1 cylinder looks like it had a load of buckshot for breakfast. Doesn’t look like it damaged the head any. So I have 2 options:

#1 put it all back together as is and see how she runs and rebuild the other when I get a chance.

#2 rebuild it now and then eventually rebuild the other.

Attachments

• 22C4EC2D-EA03-4692-A019-945861C54167.jpg
    22C4EC2D-EA03-4692-A019-945861C54167.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 29
:eek: :eek:
Can't say that I've ever seen that before.
Any idea what caused it?
[P [P [P
Torchie
Yes. I've seen this years ago. Decades... Somebody dropped a BB or the like down the carb. It bounced around for a while than got spit out the exhaust. From the looks of it, its been running like that for a long time.

I had one similar but not as round. It was running a little poorly when I pulled the plug on the dead cylinder the electrode was gone. Put a camera down the hole and looked about like yours. Did a compression check, it was fine, so I put in a new set of plugs and drove it till I sold it with no further trouble. [S
The do or don't would have to do with how much driving you do and how much harm if your late getting to where your going, Good Luck [cl
::[P::

I had one similar but not as round. It was running a little poorly when I pulled the plug on the dead cylinder the electrode was gone. Put a camera down the hole and looked about like yours. Did a compression check, it was fine, so I put in a new set of plugs and drove it till I sold it with no further trouble. [S
The do or don't would have to do with how much driving you do and how much harm if your late getting to where your going, Good Luck [cl
::[P::

Good point, when I broke the valve spring and bent a valve on my 455, the valve kissed the piston. When we changed the heads we made sure there were no sharps edges and put it back together. 29,000 kms later, it runs just fine.

The plan is to pull the piston and rod, see how the cylinder looks the whole way down and gone the cylinder. If everything comes out good, I’ll put new pistons and rod bearings in the whole thing. If not, off to the machine shop to get the block and heads cleaned up.

Cylinder honed out really nicely and there is very little ridge so I should be good with new pistons, rings, and rod bearings. The other 312 I have will get the full rebuild when I have the chance as it has never been rebuilt!!!

Attachments

• 4E3DF5A4-865C-4F77-A595-37004C0F02ED.jpg
    4E3DF5A4-865C-4F77-A595-37004C0F02ED.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 20
Been a few days since I was out in the shop. Decided it was time to work on door handles. Seeing as I didn’t have any handles and wasn’t sure if A handles were the same or similar enough to Essex, I decided to make my own. So far, I have one finished. Took a while and a few tries but it works great with the Essex latch. I’ll work on the other side tomorrow and then move onto the inside handles. I will also need to try to duplicate the striker plate for the passenger side as I have only one of them. All the rest were missing except one. So if anyone happens to have an Essex striker plate, let me know.

Attachments

• 6FE380E3-9E62-4BBF-987B-54F33A2A8923.jpg
    6FE380E3-9E62-4BBF-987B-54F33A2A8923.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back