another reason for face shields when grinding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
overheard in bodyhop I was apprenticing in while one man is using tweezers to remove a metal spinter from another mans eye,

"D*MMIT, I COULDA WENT ALL DAY WITHOUT GETTING METAL IN MY EYE!!"

I'll never forget it!!

lol!!

I've never had a flap disk break like that.

however, cut off wheels are also very prone to explode. I've had one come apart on me and the only thing that saved my face was the face shield.

Of course, I dropped the angle grinder one time onto my foot and low and behold it just barely missed the steel toe and sliced open the top of my foot, then it danced around on the concrete for a while... that time it resultied in an infection and several stitches

I haven't had one explode on me in a long time, but I did catch a piece of a cutoff dics in my right eye a couple months ago.... didn't bother me too much at the time, but the doctor had to use a needle to get it out, then a drill to get out the circle of junk it left..... and I was even wearing a face shield when it happened....

They passed a picture around at work that had a 3rd of a cut off wheel stuck in a welding helmet. Person wearing helmet only suffered a scratched cheek.
The helmet was one of those cheap pop riveted types so it could have been much worse. :eek:

I was using a wire wheel and had wires sticking out of the front of my shirt. Most of them were just in the cloth, but this one little wire was sticking out about 1/4" and when I grabbed it and pulled, I pulled a 1" wire out of my gut. Didn't feel good.

I have a pin now permanently installed in my finger because of a grinding wheel breaking apart. It actually broke the bone right at the knuckle. That thing hurt so bad....and still does when I hit it on something.

After listening to you guys I'm going to wear my Kevlar vest and my riot gear to work in the shop lol[S

after cut off wheels exploding and sticking in the drywall several inches I now keep my head to the side with safety sheild protecting the old peepers!:D you tend to learn quick at the first slightest vibration, STOP!

looks like you hook that flap wheel in to a edge.i have had just about every thing come off and get me plastic backers for air grinders .cup wheels come part . angle grinding stones .point mounted stones hardbackers fail thru mount hole .chop saw come apart . hook sanding disc you name it i have catch it .belt sander belt came unbond :eek: way to many times getting steel pick out and ground out .hot steel in the eyes. i am happy i still can see .i was not going to show this. but its show and tell ? it did not hurt much just like a tattoo then poor gas on it and lite it till skin falls off:D. sorry about the butt crack in photo

Attachments

• 000_1305.jpg
    000_1305.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Ouch, glad your ok.
what's a good shield for doing welding/cutting torch work? HF auto darkning?
think after reading this thread, I'm gonna upgrade my cheap shield for welding, and the torch goggles

yep speed glass is ok i had one started to get a weak spot on the shade like what ever made it darker was thinner in the corner of lens , i move up to a big window so i could see more i went to the jackson NexGen had it for less then two years was doing some over head welding beat it up a bit then it went bad. weld shop were i got it work deal on a new jackson so pick one up the batterys went dead on the new hood so i grab a old plane old shade glass started using that never pick the NexGen back up that been over a year [;) keeps the dust off the top of my welder now

Attachments

• 000_0392.jpg
    000_0392.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 113
The guard on the grinder doesn't always cover the wheel for sure. I'm on a first name basis at the local medical clinic here. It's no fun getting metal taken out of your eyeball,and no matter what shield I'm using, it always seems to get behind it.

The guard on the grinder doesn't always cover the wheel for sure. I'm on a first name basis at the local medical clinic here. It's no fun getting metal taken out of your eyeball,and no matter what shield I'm using, it always seems to get behind it.

[S

Well, unless they've introduced form-fitting face shields that seal around the edge of your face, it is not rocket science why you get steel in your eyes!

I use proper rubber safety goggles when grinding, or safety glasses minimum for light stuff. A face shield is just to protect your face from flying junk. If you don't care about going blind then carry on with just your face shield, but if you want to be able to see your grand-kids then use proper goggles. ONE white hot spark in just the right place can blind you in one eye.

These are the ONLY things that will fully protect your eyes from sparks and stuff. Yes, I know it is a hot sweaty chore wearing all the safety gear, but you can choose between hospital and no hospital. And you can wear spectacles under these goggles, like I do.

safety-goggles.jpg

These have a gap all the way round, that you just know a spark is going to get through some day.

1317.jpg

dum dum dum...

I sold a 69 cougar I decided not to build. I was keeping the 9" and was out of gas for the torch so to cut the u bolts i used my 4" makita with a cutoff disc.
The guard was in the way for getting at the bolts so I took the guard off and (with welding gloves and face mask) proceeded to get at them bolts in short order.
Not even a minute had gone by after telling myself to be careful...I slid my hand up the grinder for a better grip and luckily ended up with just a light groove in my knuckle. If i hadn't had the thick gloves on I might have a sewed on finger I felt the glove get cut and got my hand stopped in time.

Since I started going bald, when I'm under a car.. I bump my head more... and not lightly.
I don't have my whiskers like I used to.
So I started wearing a stocking cap (or a welders cap) and wear it loose for advanced warning so I don't ring my bell.
It works pretty good but folks think it's weird to see you in a stocking cap when it's 90 out.

I always wear ear plugs when grinding.
I wear them for torching now too.
Torches ain't too loud but you can't get a sizzling ball of slag out of your ear fast enough, prolly not till after it cools off or in my case... for about 2 weeks... when the waxy iron core scab fell out.

Not even a minute had gone by after telling myself to be careful...I slid my hand up the grinder for a better grip and luckily ended up with just a light groove in my knuckle. If i hadn't had the thick gloves on I might have a sewed on finger I felt the glove get cut and got my hand stopped in time.

Since I started going bald, when I'm under a car.. I bump my head more... and not lightly.
I don't have my whiskers like I used to.
So I started wearing a stocking cap (or a welders cap) and wear it loose for advanced warning so I don't ring my bell.
It works pretty good but folks think it's weird to see you in a stocking cap when it's 90 out.

I can relate about the bald head thing,but when i did have hair,I gotta tell you ,the smell of burning hair isn't the greatest either, haha.
I like the grinders with the paddle switches,let them go and they eventualy stop.

I always wear ear plugs when grinding.
I wear them for torching now too.

Same here! Get a little slag in your ear & that'll get your attention quick! Don't really want to lose my hearing, eyesight, fingers or toes. Grown too fond of all of them to lose them over something so stupid as not wearing protective gear.

Beercan

I shaved my head a few years ago, and it is surprising how many times you bang it. Just the 1/4" of hair I normally wear gives so much protection against small knocks it is unbelievable. Shave that off, and you're covered in dinks and knocks in no time. [S

Latest posts

Back