Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like it's the front seat that won't be much good. Good thing it's a 4 door - you can get in the rear doors and use the front doors to work on the engine.

Nice project.

[cl That's what I was thinking too! [cl

pic from facebook

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12038302_642539975888273_796930696114195842_n.jpg
    12038302_642539975888273_796930696114195842_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 209

Not much for a day's work. I welded 1/8" by 2" flat stock to the rocker boxes to strengthen them. First I had to heat and scrape undercoating off and sand the areas to be welded. I added two outriggers per side to tie the frame in with the body. I'll place another outrigger/body mount forward where the roll cage A pillar will attach.

Had to tie the front sheet metal to the frame. I extended the frame stubs, added the 1/8" by 4" plate, reinforced with angle iron on the far side, and welded what was left of the box section sub frame to the plate. Will probably add some gussets to prevent flex.
Next I'll mount the radiator.

Got this new radiator from my dearly departed friend, Leo several years ago. Finally, I'm building a car that it will fit in. Such a little car and yet there's room for a wide radiator. I'm gonna need a a dual fan set up for it. Any suggestions for a junkyard pick?

After staring at the gaping hole where the firewall used to be, and not having any good ideas about how to go at it, I grabbed some 1/4" plywood and just began to enclose the engine. Lot easier to mock it up in plywood than to make a bunch of sheet metal scrap.

The 90's Ford Taurus fans are supposed to be the strongest single fans out there. Two speeds, most guys use a Volvo fan controller.

The 90's Ford Taurus fans are supposed to be the strongest single fans out there. Two speeds, most guys use a Volvo fan controller.

^^+2 ^^

I just installed one in my sons 87 Monte SS with a ZZ4 sbc.
- 93 Taurus fan was $30
- connector off ebay was $11
- 2 speed fan relay with 2 sender units was another $34.

On the firewall....how about running it full width all the way to the A pillars and up to the windshield lip instead of the big square box you have now? It will be stronger and look 10 X better. You can put the dash into / on it and extend it back a bit...

Spent half the day on firewall options. I took your suggestion jfg, and did a flat across firewall. Problem is, it is about 6" behind the A pillar. I think I need a foot box even if it is only for the left foot. No decision yet.

I also added an outrigger in front, to pick up the roll cage A pillar tube. That is, IF I put a roll cage in it. It would be fun to crack off a few low 11's in the little French car. Also patched the rusted lower wheel well as seen in the pic. All this work was times two as I did the passenger side too.

Thanks for the tip on the Taurus fan. Looks like Ford Contour fans are good too.

Last edited:
Bob, the amount of work you get done on your projects is amazing - this is shaping up to be yet another kool ride [cl[cl.
Have you considered the old wheelbarrow firewall hump idea? Could save a little sheetmetal bashing....

I'm loven this build

In 64 some of my buddies and i would terrorize the autobahns with one of those, but a stocker and four 200+ pound GI's on board [cl

Love where this is going [cl [P :cool:
jfg, I clicked on the plasma, lsx link and this is what I see

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen shot (Small).jpg
    screen shot (Small).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 123
Love where this is going [cl [P :cool:
jfg, I clicked on the plasma, lsx link and this is what I see

Oops! Yeah I let my website expire this year...It was on my list of things I needed to upgrade / fix / change but I had to let it expire first.....:confused:

Latest posts

Back