Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bobw... do you need or want a SBC lifter valley windage tray? I have a new one here that I will never use I will donate to your French Inquisition! [cl

I thought it was the Spanish Inquisition and the French Connection [S[cl
Hell of an offer JFG455, that's what makes this place great.

Well I did accidently take some Spanish Fly and tried to French kiss....well I won't go on from there...[cl

Thanks for following along on this build, fellas.
Today I framed the firewall opening with 1/8" by 2" flat stock with 1/8" by 3/4" flat stock welded to it at right angles. This allowed me to weld the irregular contour of the wheel wells continuously, Spent half the day making the foot box, hopefully giving more room for the gas pedal. Next I've gotta put a little bulge in for distributor clearance. This work is taking entirely too long.

I bought a new pedal assembly at a swap meet for $10 a year ago. Today I cut it up and stuffed it in a little cranny up high on the firewall. Couldn't mount it lower because it would rub on the front tire. Small car, you know. Got a Corvette master cylinder from a neighbor. Unfortunately it is for a power brake application and as a result it doesn't have a deep recess for a push rod. Has anyone used one of these in a non-power setup? How did you keep the push rod from falling out of the master cylinder?
You'll notice the little foot box has been eliminated. It didn't do anything.

Last edited:

The plan is to have an all aluminum interior. As you can see,the firewall is framed with 3/4" square tubing. Jute sound deadener/thermal insulation will fill the spaces then aluminum will be pop riveted over it. That way I'll have the look of aluminum and still have sound and heat insulation.

Just a thought... can you support the push rod with a small heim end? Like a steering support, but "sloppy" enough to let the rod slide freely through?

Yes, Dr. C., I'll make a "bull's eye" guide for the master cylinder push rod.

I robbed a M/T Drag Radial on a 16" by 8" rim from the Fiat. They're just 25" tall, which is about right for the Renault, and too small for the Fiat. Trouble is I can't get matching wheel for the front. I want 22" diameter tires for the front, either 13" or 14" wheels.

Yep, There'll be a door for distributor access.

Last edited:

The tire & wheel pictured above didn't quite fit in the wheel well. I had to cut out the sub rails and major portion of the inner fender panel. Added the diagonal braces pictured to carry the weight of the rear of the body.. Now I can build more square shouldered wheel tubs.

Just saw this thread, holy cow thats a big shoehorn to fit that driveline into that car!
Its looking killer so far, crazy how far that motor has to sit back!

Latest posts

Back