56 Ford Fairlane hardtop.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My machinist has been working on my 312. Yesterday and today he has been sending me text pictures, [which I can't transfer to this forum]. He asked me if I could make a mounting box to set the motor in for carrying it home, as he had none that would fit. A Y-block has an outside oil pump and a tube running along the side the pan to the remote sump back in the pan, so the crate the motor sits in has to have a few notches.
Anyhow, I took the new box into town and grabbed the assembled motor. We wrapped in plastic, set it in the box and brought it home. My very own Thunderbird 312.
The car show is from the 21st to the 23rd of April. I might just make it.

Attachments

• MBUC4565.jpg
    MBUC4565.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 17
[cl Right on [cl
:cool: 312 Thunderbird :cool:
After watching yoou bring this engine together, I can see that all the 312"s that people think the have are quite possible 292's

I see your fancy box.:D I always just used an old tire.:rolleyes:
Never thought about a box like that, looks like a good idea, especially with outside oil lines.

Thank you Guys.
OI, in my case the engine was a homemade 272, but with Thunderbird valve covers. Yes, a lot of 312's probably aren't.
You will see in the second picture tonight the one way to be sure you are looking at a 312, a little pill 'bump' on the rear crankshaft flange. A really horrible thing to try and find on a running car.
Bama, I took the motors in to the machinist sitting in an old tire, but with a new painted up motor, maybe I should have an uptown carrying crate.
Anyhow I brought the motor home, and then cleaned out my shop of tractor stuff and started to assemble the whole unit. A lot of time was wasted trying to find the right bolts or the right parts, as they have been mislaid by some unthinking dolt.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 17
Always loved the Y Blocks, had a couple, the 272 in a '55, and the 239 in a '54

Continue!

I kept going forward today, but embarrassingly slowly. It takes time to find the right parts and especially the right bolts. Some of the 312 stuff is slightly different than the 272 stuff, and I want to save the 272 things for that motor once I get it balanced.
Progress is progress.

I bolted on things that I thought wouldn't get broken when I slid this motor into the engine compartment. Then I slid it into place. [pic 1]
[pic 2] is the left hand side finished up from the flywheel forward.
[pic 3] is the right hand side almost finished. I'm still trying to imagineer a gismo to hold the generator up there while I bolt it on.

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 16
A friend phoned today and wanted to rob some parts off of and old truck. I said come on down, but you have to work the bill for the parts off. He came to my place anyhow and I put him to work, mounting the hood back on. So, the hood's on and all of the little things underneath that can be reached from the front.

Attachments

• IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 21
A friend phoned today and wanted to rob some parts off of and old truck. I said come on down, but you have to work the bill for the parts off. He came to my place anyhow and I put him to work, mounting the hood back on. So, the hood's on and all of the little things underneath that can be reached from the front.

Awesome! I think you need some brighter light in your shop, Mac. [ddd

Thanks Guys, and yes I need some better light.
The progress report is a little better today.
I put the front pullies, the fan, the belts and the power steering pump on and lined them up. [pic one].
Then there was everything underneath, behind the flywheel to contend with. The exhaust, the transmission, the clutch linkage, the overdrive linkage, and the driveshaft. It's all been contended with,---- and it went along at a reasonable rate. [pic 2 and 3].
Oh, and I got a phone call today from the carshow organizer lady, telling me when I had to deliver my car. 10:00 AM Thursday morning. I might just make it.

Attachments

• IMG_3294.jpg
    IMG_3294.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back