Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interested in how you do the roof wood. I'll have that task on my '30 Dodge truck this fall.
Crikey, you are good!

Woodworking time. This is all maple wood, seemed like nice stuff to use... Made 4 cross ribs of 1x1 tubing and welded them in, the two middle ones have a slight crown, the front and back ones are straight.
2" x 3/8" strips will make up the rest of the roof, lots of drilling and screwing, they all go into the tubing - found out I don't have the right screws, hard to get countersunk sheetmetal screws from the hardware store. I also made a rabbit or recess along both sides so the last strips will fit into the side pieces.. Once the wood is done, I'll make a metal visor, kinda like a Model A. Just stared sawing and my 40 year old Sears tablesaw took a dump, made a trip to the tool store too.. Gonna take a week off to deliver the yellow coupe and see friends, hit a swap meet and maybe some wobbly pops too :D

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3873.JPG
    IMG_3873.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3874.JPG
    IMG_3874.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3876.JPG
    IMG_3876.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 108
Going for a more authentic late 20s look, I like the fabric top look also and seeing the wood on the underside is kinda kool - I just like the style of those years when you could still see how body styles developed from horse drawn buggys and stagecoaches.

Swap meet treasures.. A decent pair of 28 A lights and light bar, bigger than the King Bee lights I have and look more period correct, under dash mastercylinder/booster assy with the bellcrank setup I need, a free belt sander :), good #4 Record vise for 30 bucks, a gennie motometer (a gift from my Packard friend), some neat Caddy door trim I'll use on the dash and a brand new Moroso stroker pan for the 496 going in the Gasser Packard...

attachment.php

This is the caddy interior door trim, it will make a nice gauge surround :cool:

attachment.php

The Motometer looks right at home on the Herc shell. I installed some stainless mesh screen but its too weebly and flimsy, need to find something heavier for a grille....[S

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3890.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3894.JPG
    IMG_3894.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 55
With the Packard bod on the frame, I've got more elbow room at last, able to get a side shot for a better perspective on the madness....:cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 70
Made more sawdust today, finished putting in the roof wood. Before the top padding and covering goes on, I'll probably use a little bondo to fix some, umm irregularities. :eek:
Got the visor made and installed, bead rolled around the edges for strength and appearance, also folded over 1" on the leading edge so it's not floppy, kinda completes that 20's look I'm going for. :):cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3907.JPG
    IMG_3907.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3910.JPG
    IMG_3910.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG