Use jack stands

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedoh

I dont care how quick the job is, if you will be doing any more than changing a tire (and even then consider it!) USE A JACK STAND.

I dont know who needs to hear this but just imagine your significant other or your kids coming out to your legs sticking out from under a car or truck, and that is the last time they see you.

USE JACK STANDS.

Years ago i made a run on an injured person. He used an old bumper jack and took a front tire off, crawled under the car, car fell off of the jack, popped his head like a watermelon.

30 yrs ago I had a Chevy jack collapse under a Ramcharger... [S:rolleyes::p I pulled the wheel and the car landed on the tire. I didn`t have time to toss the wheel under the car.

I ditched all chevy crap and use stands ( I only trust the ones made by me ) ever since.

Don't use cement blocks, especially on a slanted, dirt surface. As a 15 year old, I almost left the planet with this stunt.

I never go with out jack stands, many years ago , mid to early 80's a neighbor didn't use jack stands and left his wife and three kids without a Dad or husband.

nope not me, I wear safety glasses behind my face shield. :D

but it occurs to me that my grandpa I never met was crushed by a car when my dad was a kid though.

no I saw it on the local news a car fell off a jack and the kid was pretty hurt.

This past week, I just had to change out the transmission, clutch, PP plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing on my Mustang. My son owns a set of Race Ramps that we ALWAYS put under a car when climbing underneath. He also bought a second set of the ones that go on the rear wheels, and we jack it up and replace the ramps with those because they are dished and hold the tire perfectly safe and in place, no matter how much you put pressure on the car while working on it.

I do not feel like bench pressing a 3000 pound car at my age ! We have used these Race Ramps under a lot of cars over the years and always feel safe under them.

https://www.raceramps.com/c/garage-service/

I don't keep up with the Houston news since I moved away but it appears there are a lot of stupid people there because there were several news reports of people dying every year from a car falling on them while doing repairs! I've always been afraid of that myself & use a jack & jack stands while working under!

And you may or may not have seen the Harbor Freight jack stands were recalled because weak welds made them fail. I have some of them but instead of returning them... I welded them up big time my own self!

BoB

Related to jack stands, at my old house there was originally a void under the concrete floor. I've read news articles of guys getting crushed because of their jack stand falling THROUGH a concrete floor that is no longer properly supported. I had mine filled underneath when I had the driveway mudjacked for extra peace of mind.

Not only do we need to ensure the car is securely on a SAFE jack stand, but that the surface under the jack stand is safe and stable.

It's easy to check for voids under a concrete floor with a steel rod. Tap the end on the floor, you can tell which areas are hollow and which are not.

Being a retired Fire fighter I do not even trust jack stands. I use wood cribbing of 2X4, 4X4 and 6X6 about 24 inches long and build a square box.

Latest posts

Back