Ratrod camper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swanee

Hi guys. Need some advice. I am a member of a group of women called Sisters on the Fly. We all have vintage campers that we use for camping and charity events. Some are restored and some are not. My passion is restoring old campers and luckily my husband puts up with it since he spends most of his time on muscle cars. I have a small camper that needs restoration and have decided to do it in a ratrod camper style so my husband can take it to swap meets and stay in it instead of a motel. He's definitely on board with the idea and seems excited about it but is leaving the design and decor up to me since I'm way better at that than him.
I've seen a lot of ratrods at cars shows and I love everything about them. I'm thinking I could use Modern Masters Metal Effect paint to get the rusted patina on the outside but need help on the inside.
What I need from all of you is suggestions on anything you guys would like to see inside a ratrod camper. Keep in mind it needs to still be usable, not just for show.
This is something I want to do for my husband so I want to do it right. Any ideas out there?

Welcome to the site
Advice is free here :cool: and it also can go rampid quite fast :eek: :D
Everyone loves to help including me :cool:

Welcome to RRR Swanee. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from the folks here. Some amazing minds visit this site. I too have been wanting to build a rat rod camper. Still looking for a suitable candidate. One idea I had, instead of the usual dinette, which is difficult to get in and out of, especially after a few barley pops, I was going to build a small bar with swivel stools. Unless your hubby is a non-drinker, he'd have to like a bar in his camper. Not that anyone drinks when they go to swap meets and such.

Hi DirtyDon.
A bar is a great idea! I actually have a rusty angle iron table frame that would be perfect bar size. Maybe attach a couple of boards on top and it would work great. Maybe s one old metal bar stools too unless you ave another great idea!
Thanks. I knew you guys would know what to do.

Not a real good picture of the camper but I always liked this little home made tear drop. You could find some rusty galvanized roofing.

ford57hood015.jpg

I love that teardrop. Thanks ! I really like the corrugated metal on it.
The camper I have is a 72 lark. It's kind of boxy shaped and you can stand up if your not taller than 6'1". Altough its in really good condition inside with all new insulation, walls and wiring, the outside could definitely use paint. Also somebody went nuts with the silicone caulking around the seams. Sloppy job. Anyway instead of trying to pull it all out and risk a leak I thought I'd add to the look with the rust paint. Just don't know if there's a good primer that will stick to silicone so I can add paint on top of it.
Anyone have any ideas for the inside walls? Right now they are unfinished wood panels . The floor will be plywood with grooves cut in it to make it look like old plank flooring and ill paint them to look really worn and old.

Can't believe all the help I'm getting so fast. Thanks guys! Ill be posting pictures as soon as it starts taking shape. Most likely after the holidays. Keep those ideas comming!

Well Swanee, sounds like you're on your way to a ratty bar in your rat camper. I'd look through some of the build threads on here for inspiration. Even though they're cars and trucks, you can still use some of the same styling ideas in your camper. Like maybe using old tools for drawer pulls, etc. Post pics, everyone loves pics, even what you're starting with. When people have something to look at, the creative juices start flowin.

Yep post up some pics! The creativity on this board is crazy. Just give them something to work with.:D

Swanee,
get your self some old coke posters and retro ads from the 50's, if the camper is big enough get a futon bed so he can sleep or sit on it and cover it in some wild fabric. use some of his old car show T-shirts to cover pillows. hang some pics of his car, a magazine rack made out of rusty metal. Storage for a big cooler and some place to put clean and dirty clothes.

I bought a 61 vintage small travel trailer (can't remember the make) and took the whole family on a road trip down the west coast back about 96. One thing I really liked was the icebox. It was pretty big and built into the cabinet with a lift off lid on top, also a drain to the outside. If I was remodeling one, it a feature I would definitely duplicate.
I'm working on buying a small one. I have a friend who has about 20-30 of them and used to put them down along the river in the shade of big trees and rent them out during the Sturgis Rally. He has decided not to do that anymore and they are all just stored. He has some really cool canned hams, one is a Shasta with the wings. I want one with nice original insides, a lot of them have been painted inside.
He also has a Spartan Manor but it's almost too far gone to save. It's like the one in the Lucy/Desi movie "The Big Trailer".

Great ideas guys. Sawzall I like the pillow idea and the pictures of his cars. I think I'll definitely do those as well as WillowBilly3's idea on a cabinet with an outside drain for the cooler. I have one of those expensive coolers I got as a gift and always worry about leaving it outside...can't remember what the heck they are called but it was a really nice gift and putting it inside in a designated space would be great.

Old license plates or tin signs for the panels of cabinet doors. Galvanized wash tubs or buckets for lights. Galvanized corrugated steel.

My wife found some orange/yellow flame print cotton cloth and made covers for the foam sleeping pads. Also some flame/skull print cotton for the curtains. It looks cool! I will try to figure the picture thing out on here and post some up.

Most paints will not stick to the silicone sealer, , but paint it any way it will have the rough rat rod look. There is a build on here (somewhere) where he goes through the steps to paint a rat rod that looks rusty. I like the idea of the corrigated metal that you can put over the existing panels. I have been collecting parts to scratch build a trailer that will be very different then the usual teardrops. Big refrigerator, a/c, potty, shower, kitchen area. The aluminum is "aging" now for the outer panels. The frame is from a boat trailer.
Aircraft "pants" (fenders), Mack truck clearance lights for tail lights. 35 Ford wheels. I will do a build once I start the body frame work.

weld on ......[;)

Rat Rod Camper

Ok guys...Back in 2012 I said I was going to do a rat rod camper for my husband. It's done . Unfortunately my pictures aren't loading. What's up with that? I'll keep trying. Would love to get everyone's opinion.

Latest posts

Back