Coil spring install

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hello.
my plymouth is running a pontiac Firebird subframe 1979. I pulled one of the coils out to cut half a turnoff to drop the front end. hoping for a one inch. I have a spring clamp single type connects from inside the spring. I am having one hell of a time to get that spring back in were supposed to be. Any ideas Any pointers? going to take another crack at it this weekend Thanks.

I never use any type of spring compressor. Just chain the spring to the lower control arm so it doesn't fly out and kill you. Put a floor jack under the control arm, undo the lower ball joint and lower the jack. Do the opposite to put it back in. Never had a problem.

some times with the engine/trans out of the vehicle there is not enough weight to hold the frame down while jacking up the a-arm. in this case I would wrap a length of chain around the frame and under the jack axle using a bolt to adjust the slack out of the chain, then just jack the a-arm/spring into place.

Thanks,
I worked on it last night. Got the driver side together and now going to start the pass side. Sometimes I find if I take a break and walk off, coming back fresh helps.

Got it done!
Passenger side was quick. Think i wound up with 3/4", but it may settle a bit more after driving. Thanks for the comments.
Russ

Latest posts

Back