Gas Stations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. I like this one... what's old is new, except for the option to choose. :mad:

gas15.jpg

I have one on file amongst my '38 Chevy pics. I'd like to pick up the royalty check for the tire gauge design. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 38 chevy1.jpg
    38 chevy1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 146
Roddingron, thanks for the post. Got me to looking online at old gas station pics. Brings back a lot of memories, since my first job was at the service station. Some of you remember those days. There was a rubber hose running from the pump island to the station and would ring a bell inside when a car ran over it. We dashed out and asked the driver if we could check under the hood for them. Checked all the fluid levels, tire pressures, etc. cleaned the windshield, headlights. All just for purchasing a couple bucks worth of gas. Those were the days.

Yes, my first job out of HS was a a corner gas station/restaurant. Gas was normally 25 cents a gallon but there was a gas war one time and I saw it drop to 19.9 cents. :eek: We also had a 55 gallon drum of oil in the back with a hand pump on it and I had to fill those glass quart bottles with oil and screw the metal pointed top on them. I would carry them out to the gas island in a 6 pack carrier and we sold it for 10 cents a quart.

We washed windows, checked your oil level and air pressure, and gave you a glass with a fill up. I kept a 5 gallon gas can sort of hidden by the gas pumps and when a customer would leave I would leave the pump off but would drain what gas was in the hose into the can. When the next customer would pull in I would put the nozzle into his car and quickly flip the lever to start the pump running. The numbers showing the price would immediately shoot up to maybe 10 or 15 cents because the line had to be refilled, and I only got caught one time when a customer was watching the pump and saw the numbers climb too high too soon. :eek:

But at the end of the night I would have a couple of gallons of gas in the can for free and could top off my VW and have gas for a date. Now that I think back on it I was only stealing about 50 cents of gas, but considering I was only making 80 cents an hour I guess I thought it was worth it. That was 50 years ago, so I imagine the statute of limitations has run out. :p

Don

HaHa! That's some funny stuff Don. Don't think they'll come after you now, since the station owner is most likely doing oil changes at the big station in the sky. I don't think I could've gotten away with that. The old guy that ran that station watched me like a hawk. We had to go inside to make change. If I didn't run every step of the way to and from the island, he'd get all red in the face and be cussin me out. Just when I was thinking he was busy working on a car, I'd let up a little and there he'd be with his arms folded, waiting to tear into me. Come to think of out though, he taught me some valuable lessons. Don't think I've ever let up since.

Latest posts

Back