Do I need 4th gear lockup?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l talked to my tranmission guy:

1. It will work, but the transmission will run hotter and it will shorten the life of the fluid.

2. Lock up eliminates slippage in the torque converter while cruising.

3. It will most definitely decrease your gas mileage.

4. It could potentially cause premature transmission wear from warmer op temps.

5. Throttle Valve Cable adjustment is crucial, can burn up the transmission if incorrect.

6. Important to get a good transmission cooler to preserve the life of the transmission.

7. Use a internal lock up kit instead of the vacuum style.

Later:cool:

i know a lot of people that don't run the lock up. i have had the lock up shimmy when hitting hills with older tranny's and unplugged them to make them last longer.

In my opinion you would benefit with the lock-up convertor. With that much gear and a small camshaft you want to lower the engine speed as much as possible.(about 250-300 rpm drop with the lock-up) fyi with the correct lock-up delete kit installed in your 700, with a non lock-up convertor the trans will run at the same temps as a 350 or 400. Tobby

I tried to run mine without a lockup and in certain situations it would slip down to a lower gear and it was kind of irritating. Once I put the lockup on, it drove much better and got better gas mileage. My buddy said not running one would shorten the life of the tranny too. Just my experience!

Beercan

if it is factory i run the lockup till it starts to wear out then i unplug it so the trans will last, as it will fill the trans with metal. on the ones i put together i never plug it in. it is no different then running a th350 a th400 or a stall converter, if you run a trans cooler no problems.

Latest posts

Back