toploader imposter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfavrett

Today I bought a toploader imposter trans for 80 bucks. Inside looks like its been gone through and not used. I figured I cant be hurt too bad for 80 bucks. My question is, is there parts available now like a shifter. Ive read old threads that say you cant get parts but as toploaders get more scarce I would think parts would become available. Another question is does anybody have any experience with these and how they held up

it looks almost identical to a topoader accept a few details. from what ive read it has an od instead of 4th gear which is weaker than 4th in a real toploader. and i guess uses a different shifter

Doesn't that transmission take a shifter that fits on top of the transmission, like a Jeep shifter? Or am I thinking about something else?

I may have an imposter. It's a New Process A833 that came out of an early eighties GMC pick-up. Straight through,1 to 1 ratio is now third gear instead of fourth, and what was third has it's gears switched around so it's now an overdrive about .7 to1. The little shift lever on the outside of the case is on up-side-down so when you put the gearshift into the usual third gear spot you get 1 to 1 and then the old fourth spot gives you OD. The shifter is like other shifters, but with a GM mounting bolt pattern. I have robbed this shifter and put it on an ordinary A833 Dodge 4 speed, but I have to drill one new bolt hole.
I have never heard them called imposters before. The only complaints that I've heard are, first gear is pretty fast, and there's quite a jump in speed ratios between second gear and third. This transmission should be tougher than nails, but coffee-shop hot rodders will always have heard of some wreck.

seems like one of the car mags back in the early 80's took a ford od top loader trans and used a jeep shifter handle to give it the old car/truck look. my brother had one of them and a couple mustang guys went ape trying to get it from him so they could have the over drive.

I'll post some pics later when I get out to my shop. most people cant tell the difference. I'd never heard of them. And yes there are stories about failures but I've also found stories about guys loving them

You can google it and see the difference. There is a lump in one side that isn't there on a toploader. Not a horrible tranny and $100 is kinda the going price but I see guys that think they are worth a lot more. They came in vans and pickups in the early 80s and usually had a long unwieldy shifter. And yes, the gear splits aren't the best. I think it's the 2-3 that is pretty long. Nice easy-cheesy bolt in OD for a mild engine and not going to get thrashed.

Latest posts

Back