donor is gutted!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

OK GUYS GOT THE 5.0 mustang gutted..getting ready to push the 37 in the garage. first things first got to get the body off an see what I got. im thinking I have to box the frame. question for you guys ..yes or no? I want to leave the I beam axle up front..with the t5 5sp trans will I have to split the wish bone?...I have seen mounts to mount a late rear with the old style rear spring. is this kind of setup any good? any an all input will be appreciated thanks vinman

People are still using variations of the original suspension for hot rods. I believe there are kits for using the stock configuration wishbones.

Not an expert, just some thoughts, the front wishbone may not have to be split if the trans and motor is mounted high enough but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if you split them. I think speedway motors sells a kit to do it. As for the rearend if you use a modern rear with a buggy spring or transverse spring you should use heavier radius rods because without the torque tube the rearend will want to twist. I hope this makes sense.

thanks guys..i hoped to get away without splitting the wishbone..we will see after I get the body off an see were the trans sits.as for the rear, im looking for the easiest way to get the mustang installed..im not going to race it,,but I will lean on it..i need the rear to stay put..keep the input coming .. thanks

I have unusual advice, don't throw the Mustang away just yet as there are a lot of parts on there that you will maybe use. Save the speedometer cable, that fits that transmission, the rear trans yoke that also fits, all of the gauges, the pedals, the steering column and wheel, seats, seat-belts, switches and windshield wiper motor. You may use most of these things.
Keep on tinkering.

Latest posts

Back