Powerglide shifter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Is anyone running a powerglide with a floor shifter? The 70 c10 i just got has a cheap autozone indy shifter in it and has maybe a 1/2 inch movement from park to low. It is nearly impossible to get into drive, even with two hands. Powerglide shifters aren't cheap, they're all close to $300 and up. I just want something i don't have to fight with to get in gear. I found a lokar or lokor, something like that, from jegs for about $200 but id like to see what everyone else is using. Someone said a 350 th shifter will work but i don't want that real close ratio.

Make a tranny plate that will extend the length of the original.
The way I drew this one is, an inch and a half wide at the top, three quarter inch wide at the bottom, four inches long and an eighth inch thick.
You take the nut off the rod coming out of the tranny and put the upper hole over the rod, put the nut back on, put a bolt and nut through the hole the original shifter rod was in then, move the shifter rod to whichever lower hole that gives the shifter the correct travel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tranny plate.JPG
    Tranny plate.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 36
The way I drew this one is, an inch and a half wide at the top, three quarter inch wide at the bottom, four inches long and an eighth inch thick.
You take the nut off the rod coming out of the tranny and put the upper hole over the rod, put the nut back on, put a bolt and nut through the hole the original shifter rod was in then, move the shifter rod to whichever lower hole that gives the shifter the correct travel.

attachment.php

Nice OI. [cl
When my daughter and I built her 60 Chevy and switched to a floor shifter I picked up a floor shifter with all the components from a Chevelle I think. It worked but was a PITA to install. But the shift indents all lined up with the PG trans so it worked out.
Torchie

attachment.php
I was sitting in the work truck today and was designing something similar on paper. I haven't crawled under her yet to see whats going on but i suspect the lever is too short. I do know different year powerglides have different type of levers. I know one has a lever that don't bolt on but has to be removed by taking off the pan. Even so, thats what welders are for. I just need to get it right the first time if thats the case.

Latest posts

Back