Column to Floor Shifter Switch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GulfCoastGasser

My problem: I have a 1977 Ford F-100 with a new crate 350 and refurbished TH400. Currently it is a three speed on the column (boring!:( ). I am having issues with the engine dying when shifted from Park to Reverse or Drive (But it runs fine in Park or once in Reverse or Drive!).:mad: I am not sure what is causing this, but I was hoping a new floor shifter may help and would look better.:cool:

My question: How difficult of a job is this going to be? :confused: And what would be the best aftermarket shifter for this application? :D (I like the look of the long nostalgic shifters and can't see how a short shifter would work in a truck).

The job is not difficult GCG. There are two different ways you can go with the floor shifter, those being cable or linkage. Most, if not all of the long shifters that you are talking about are of the linkage type. It's just a matter of mounting the floor shifter to the trans tunnel or transmission itself, depending on the type of shifter you choose, and connecting the linkage or cable to the shift arm on the side of the transmission.

Changing shifters will not cure your problem of the truck stalling when you put it into gear though. That's usually caused by too much cam and not enough converter, a problem with the transmission/converter, or a tuning problem.

Latest posts

Back