Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

Love it... I have a '50 Ford 8N my own self! If you're gonna post progress I wanna move this thread to the "Builds" section! I'm sure everyone else wants to follow along too!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm watching. I helped my dad restore a few pre 1960s farm tractors. This weekend I was working on a mid 50s Allis Chalmers model 45 motor grader.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

I'd like to watch the progress too. Although I've never actually used a tractor to farm(meaning growing food) with, I've owned 8 from the late 30s up. Tremendous help around a place when you work solo. We all like machines. Like was said before..building is building!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Builder Junky!

Thank you.
Torchie, I've been watching your thread, secretly waiting for the day you put that promised Y-block in it. That's the only reason, cause wood scares me. You can't heat it up and bend it around and if you cut it too short you can't weld it back together and cut it longer. Here's a philosophical question for you guys. What percentage of the builders that you know, work well with wood and metal? Most people work well with one or the other but not both. Torchie, your one in that small percentage.
Tripper, that's great news, about moving this thread to the build section. I was afraid there would only be a slowly fading vapour trail and funny smell, once you saw it.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Builder Junky!

As I said, I was to do the little things. There was an inspection plate hole in the upper right hand side bellhousing. It probably had a cast-iron cover 6"x6". I went to the local Farm machinery wrecking yard and looked at the old Minneapolis Molines. There I found two plates that were too small and the retaining clip. One old tractor had a cast-iron rad cap which I also needed. These tractors that I was robbing were twenty years newer than My old Twin City's. I cut one plate off at 1"x6" and welded it onto the bottom of the other to make a 6" square. I smoothed the weld down and filled the crack with body filler and as it dried I hammered in some emery cloth. The second picture is the plate primered.
One of the tractors had a Robin carburetor on it, and I tried to rebuild it but I broke some stuff and couldn't get any information, parts or gaskets for it. Then came a Kinston brass carb. I didn't get the needle and seat smooth enough or the homemade plastic float wasn't strong enough. It over-filled, but the tractor ran a few times with it. I eventually built a Zenith that I could get a kit for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1796.jpg (180.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1798.jpg (42.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1916.jpg (120.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1917.jpg (98.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:47 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That cover turned out great MM.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice work. keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 AM
Builder Junky!

The two guys that were doing the big work on the tractor didn't take many pictures and wouldn't paint the tractor, as they went. They did a lot of work though and got the old tractor running again after probably 60 years of neglect.
We had our grief getting a magneto working and mounted straight and true, only to find out Twin City mags have to turn counter-clockwise. We found one that we could make work backwards but it had no spark retard for hand cranking then. When you first turn a mag slowly [as in cranking], you are only turning the input shaft, and a little rewind spring. The big click that you hear, is dogs letting the small rewind spring go so the rest of the mag suddenly turns fast enough to create a spark but it is late. This retarded spark gives you less chance of the crank kicking back and breaking your arm.
So we finally found part of a mag that turned the right way, an American Bosch. It was only missing the distributor cap. We could not find the right cap. I was telling another friend about my mag troubles, [in a whiny voice, possibly], when he said he could make me a cap. I said "nobody in their right mind could do that." He said, "Oh, I enjoy a challenge, bring me some pictures of what you need." A couple of days later he phoned to say, come and get it." We put it on the mag and mounted the whole unit, and started the tractor up just like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thumbs up Great Stuff

This is terrific. Gonna be fun to watch. Lots of photos please.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Builder Junky!

Here are some pictures of the last mag we got and the homemade distributor cap. You'll see a silver spacer behind the cap. My guy had to make that out of plate aluminium because the piece of plastic I found for him, was too thin. I had found some brass nuts and bolts at a hardware store, but he needed the bolts to have really big diameter, thin heads, so he made the spark terminals out of 1" brass shaft, on his lathe. He used the nuts I had found as they looked era correct. Anyhow, the magneto works like a charm.
I painted that 6"x6" cast-iron square inspection cover Battleship Grey.
The partial air-cleaner that was on one tractor was era correct, but I doubt if it was original. I wanted to fix it up and make it look good. The centre section was functional but beat up, [possibly used for a football during lunch hour down at the sawmill], and another top had been roughly welded on and also caved in. The bottom section was missing. I got to make that look however I wanted, as long as it looked old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1920.jpg (101.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1921.jpg (99.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1922 - Copy.jpg (95.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1924.jpg (106.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1918.jpg (89.5 KB, 16 views)