Door alignment 1929 Tudor Model A Ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtbone

Here is where i'm at.
Both doors are a 3/16 low at the b pillar.
Shimming may not be an option because I'm channeling the body.
with the hinge pin in the center hinge, I can pivot the door to the proper position.
The lower hinge needs a minimal pinch in, but the top hinge needs to be moved back.
My concern is binding.
Should I just go for it, and bend the hinges on the door?
Thanks.

Pictures? Is the floor missing? I know nothing about model A Fords, but if the hinges are tight and not designed to be shimmed, I suggest you shim the body and/or jack the cowl to square the opening...

what Dr C said...
frame to body can be shimmed with remarkable accuracy .. just a little time.. every bolt holds that body is alive when tightened.. be prepared to work on them all.. firewall is the start point ,, should be assembled with the grill if a hood is used … luck

More questions. What's the door gap, [line of the door compared to the line of the body] at the A-pillar like. If it's very parallel then you have to adjust the body but, if it's wide at the top due to worn or bent hinges, then you have to work on the pins, pin holes, shims or heating and bending hinges.
Good Luck. [;)[;)

So you can see because of the channeling, the frame sits above the sub-frame, shimming will not be possible.
I'm going to tweak the hinges.
Thanks for the response.

I had a little sag in my last A door on the driver side. So the door didnt line up with the body line with the door shut. I took a hammer and smacked the top hinge forward. A couple smacks and it shut good and everything lined up perfect

Without seeing pictures it's hard to say, but model a door fitment is corrected by shimming the cowl. Even if you're channeling the body, your mounts under the cowl is where the correction likely needs to happen if the hinges are tight and straight.

Latest posts

Back