1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
You'd think that a guy named MercuryMac would never stray off the Ford path; well,-----You're wrong. I've started working on a 1934 Plymouth five window coupe. This is a fair surprize to me, even though I've wanted one for a long time, this one sorta' fell into my lap. It was partly hot-rodded, some professionally done, and some very amateurishly. The floor is all in and a set-back firewall. All of the patch panels are welded in including the roof hole cover, but there is no smoothing out of the panels. The frame is boxed or new rectangle tubing, with Mustang two front end and 8" Ford rear-end with four link and coil-overs. Running gear is all painted black, oh and the body is in primer.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 176
Put a Chevy in it... I dare ya. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a diehard Chevy guy but I'm also something of a purist. A 426 wedge would go well... got one of those, Mac? [ddd

Thank you Guys. BobW, I was the deliverer and although I've made mistakes in my life, directions are not some of them. You are south-east of Gibbons, Alberta, and I am north-west. I, selfishly chose North-west.:D
There are a number of motors lying around here that I could slip in the car, even, Dr. Crank, some GMs, [gross], a 350/350 combo or a 306 Cadillac/400. I have a big block Dodge but not a wedge 426 or 413. It's the 383 Magnum that I'm taking out of my Super-Bee [to be replaced by the rebuilt original motor]. There is also a wide block 318 with truck four speed that is interesting. I am rebuilding a short head flatty six cylinder Chrysler for a Massey-Harris tractor, that closely resembles the original Plymouth motor. Not to mention all the good Ford motors. But, what I'm putting in the car is a 270 Baby Hemi with an A833 four speed. You can see in the third picture where I'm starting the long, slow, painful job of mixing components that never saw each other before. [S[;):eek::cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 145
Very nice, good choice of engines, baby bear or papa bear it's got holes in the middle of the valve covers it's great [cl :p I'd like to have one for my jimmie :(

Thank you Soltz. Don't they make a fake Hemi looking tappet cover and partial head for a SBC, now. I thought I saw one at a swap meet a while ago. I know what you mean about the mid cover spark-plug wire look, though. It's the best, even if you have to cheat a bit. Oops, can you say cheat on this forum.[ddd:D

What's up with the gasser stance Mac? Looks like the front needs to come down a foot!

With your skills, I'll be watching this one ! [P

I kinda' like the gasser stance on some cars, ---- but not this one. I'm a little worried about that front end height, too. Since the pictures were taken I unchained the back and that helped quite a bit, so with that and dropping a Hemi with a cast iron truck bell housing and a cast iron transmission, between the rails, I think it will look better. I may still have to go to drop spindles. 'Beggars cannot be choosers', that's the way it came so that's what I'll work with, mostly without whining.
Earlier there was a question about the patina, leave it primer or slick it up a bit. Well, ------ you got me stumped for an answer on that one. I could have a running rough rat in no time but I've learned something about me over the last few years, I like the build best, the final completion is short lived and nearing the end of my fanatic interest. I think I will keep building away on it for quite a while yet.

Nice find, and the baby hemi is great too. I'll be tuned in Mac, if its anything like your other projects/rods it'll be great.

Some progress, guys. I have started to put the accessories on the long block now, but it's going slowly. I found the dipstick but had no tube, so had to make one. The vibration dampner had a terrible groove in it so I had to speedy-sleeve it. The water pump went on well but I had no fan or fan spacer. I robbed them off of a LA 318 and lathed a bit of aluminium to get them to bolt on. A swap meet NOS fuel pump bolted right on and the valley pan worked out.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 78
"Oh where, oh where has my 36 Ford truck gone......

[ddd:D[ddd
Looks like it's going to be a great Mac.
I hear you about the build part.
But lately for me it just seems to be about the not building...:(
Torchie.

Thank you Soltz. Don't they make a fake Hemi looking tappet cover and partial head for a SBC, now. I thought I saw one at a swap meet a while ago. I know what you mean about the mid cover spark-plug wire look, though. It's the best, even if you have to cheat a bit. Oops, can you say cheat on this forum.[ddd:D

Yes I could make the sbc look like a Hemi but I'd love to put anything but a chevy engine in my GMC.
Got a Big Block (Ford) in pieces in the shed [S

Attachments

• Hemi Chevy.jpg
    Hemi Chevy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Back