My 1941 Dodge Truck Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a torchmate with a 4X8 table. I love it. You want custom brackets, frame plates like yours, metal art stuff (I make tables, sculptures and even a full size moose out of 1/4" plate). Once it is in the computer you can just call it up and whip out another set. A 4x4 setup will take care of most peoples stuff and save $ and space. If I did anything different I would build a water bed for it. Probably will retro it to one anyways. Cut down on the smoke. Doesn't leave as smooth a finish like your water jetted stuff though. A little slag on the back. Arc "walks" a little over 1/4" thick stuff but you can adjust with travel speed to compensate for it.

Dang I bet you could "jet" out a sweet set of 4 link plates for a big rear.........;)

Hey bud, the Dodge grill is long gone. Sorry. :(

Aww dang..... I have the upper section sheetmetal and an entire set of stainless, I just need that lower sheetmetal piece :(

and actually I am thinking of comissioning Bonehead again for some other goodies to go with the hood ornament he crafted for me.......[ddd I have some other ideas for even more Bonehead Badassery.....[ddev

Dang I bet you could "jet" out a sweet set of 4 link plates for a big rear.........;)

Yea, I have a set designed for the 9" in the back of my datsun ls turbo project that I have to cut out. Only issue I am working out is getting the 5/8" hole to come out perfectly round. I think I have to adjust my " lead in" so I don't get the little notch in the hole. [;)

Yea, I have a set designed for the 9" in the back of my datsun ls turbo project that I have to cut out. Only issue I am working out is getting the 5/8" hole to come out perfectly round. I think I have to adjust my " lead in" so I don't get the little notch in the hole. [;)

That's the thing....:eek: The most commonly done brackets are for a smaller type rear. I needs a set for a Dana 70 truck rear- Bigger housing tubes......:eek:

That's the thing....:eek: The most commonly done brackets are for a smaller type rear. I needs a set for a Dana 70 truck rear- Bigger housing tubes......:eek:

send me a DXF file, scanned drawing, napkin etc with the diamentions on it and I can whip out a set. I can make the in 2 halves as well if you already have ends on your axles and can't slide the one piece ones on. Also how thick the material you want it out of.

where are you out of in the rusty N east? You can PM me if you want.

Last edited:
send me a DXF file, scanned drawing, napkin etc with the diamentions on it and I can whip out a set. I can make the in 2 halves as well if you already have ends on your axles and can't slide the one piece ones on. Also how thick the material you want it out of.

where are you out of in the rusty N east? You cam PM me if you want.

I already have the tube ends cut off. My plan is to weld on a set of big bearing Ford ends......

IMG_0653.jpg

looks good! It should be a 3 1/2" tube right? or is it like 3.75"? It would be easy to cut out a set of 4 plates. They make conversion axles for big ford bearings and D70 splines.

Hey, keep it on topic. I'm going to start charging $20 for every unrelated post, LOL. ;)

I wasn't really lucky tonight. I dropped my TIG torch and my fancy pyrex cup broke. I have to order a few more from Arc Zone. The head gear on my welding helmet also broke. The ratcheting adjustment thingy decided it had enough. I was just able to mock up the rear pieces and test fit some parts I made for the rear 4 link setup.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

I turned down these coupling nuts in the lathe and left a little flange on to help me align/weld them better. These will drop in the holes I had water jetted in my frame plates and will be the mounting points for the rear 4-link links.
IMG_0023.jpg

You can kind of see how they go in.
IMG_0024.jpg

That's all for tonight. I would have done more, but the broken pyrex cup ruined the mood, haha. I'll have to go to the welding supply store tomorrow to see if I can buy a new head gear for my helmet.

Thanks for looking!

S O R R Y !! Won't happen again! I swear! ;)
So pookie, about this.....Lol! just kidding.
Good idea on the couplers. I usually cheat and just turn the end that goes into the outer plate. I figure the rest will be hidden inside the frame anyways. looks good!

To be fair I will offer the same CNC service if he needs any brackets and such. Goes for any RRR member. We are all in this together! :D

To be fair I will offer the same CNC service if he needs any brackets and such. Goes for any RRR member. We are all in this together! :D

I might take you up on that. I noticed on your website that you have a brake. Can you bend ~3/8" stuff? I need to make some custom steering arms.

I got everything tacked up today. I started fully welding the pieces when I managed to burn my hand, LOL. I don't like wearing a glove on the filler hand while TIG welding. I think I will start wearing one from now on. LOL

It's starting to come together. 8-10 hours of welding and grinding and my frame should be together.
IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
If you shoot me a PM I will send you my email so you can shoot me your design. My "brake" right now is kind of a ghetto unit. I am in the process of making a true "press brake" but I might be able to knock out what you need.

If you shoot me a PM I will send you my email so you can shoot me your design. My "brake" right now is kind of a ghetto unit. I am in the process of making a true "press brake" but I might be able to knock out what you need.

Which plasma cutter are you using with you Torch Mate table?
We have a Plasma Cam table with a Hypertherm 600 but need to step up to a 1250. We are overloading the 600 and it keeps shutting down from heat.

We use an iron worker to punch all those critical holes in the 4 link brackets, also use the iron worker to bend 3/8 steering arms.

awsome build and metal work.

i might hit you up soon for some stuff.

Thanks, I'd be glad to help you out.

A quick and not very exciting update....

I've been on welder duty trying to get the frame boxed in and fully welded. I'm almost done with that. All I have ahead of me is a few hours of welding and grinding and the frame should be together. My next update, hopefully, will include a picture of the frame.

Front rails boxed:
IMG_0035.jpg

Rear sections:
IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I don't know if there are any Black Sabbath or Dio fans here. If there are, today was indeed a very sad day. Ronnie James Dio lost his battle to stomach cancer this morning at 7:45 am. I spent most of the day listening to Black Sabbath (Dio era) and Dio tunes while I was hammering and banging metal.

I will miss going to Dio and Black Sabbath shows and watching the personification of God on the stage. I will miss putting my Black Sabbath or Dio shirt on, getting in the car, driving to the show while listening to those priceless and timeless tunes, standing in the que and shooting the crap with other metalheads, and finally seeing a true legend. I will miss Ronie James Dio, his voice and the beautiful music he created!

The world lost a true legend this morning. Rest in peace Ronnie James Dio. 7/10/42 - 5/16/10.

This is his tile at the Rock Walk in Hollywood.
corna.jpg

heaven-and-hell-tribute-2.jpg

Frame parts are looking good. I too will miss Dio tunes. I grew up in the 80's and Dio was always in my tape deck.

RPM I shot you a PM. didn't want to clutter up the thread.

A small update:

I've been putting a couple of hours every night or so into the project. I managed to get all the pieces welded up, but I still have to grind all the welds down, but that shouldn't take long since I tig welded the whole thing. I need to bring over my table from the shop so I can get the frame all squared up and welded. My plan is to have a roller by next weekend.

Starting to look like a frame:
IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Latest posts

Back