Miller model 141 or 190 ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I need to buy a welder and Im not sure which one to get. I just need one for my Rat projects and little stuff around the farm. I'm thinking about getting a arc welder for the big stuff and a small mig. for sheet-metal and smaller stuff.I went to the Miller store today and the repair/tech guy said the 141 would work for me. It is a 120 voit unit. Welds up to 3/16 cost around $ 750 maybe less ,with a rebate. Next one up is a 190 , 220 voit ,welds up to 5/16 cost 200 more. I wouldn"t mind paying more if it is alot better machine . I"m just not sure I really need it. In my mind ,bigger is better,like a bigger air comp.is better.It dont have to work as hard. But the guy at the store say"s the 141 is a good unit and he is the one that works on them. What do ya"ll think?

The term "up to" is very misleading.
Duty cycle is what I would look at.
You are correct in almost every case when you say, bigger is better.
If you don't have 220 then a 110/120 volt machine is what you'll be stuck with.
If you have 220 and will not be carrying the machine with you to other places then, don't be cheap and spend the $200 for the 190.
JMHO

I use an old Hobart 135 most of the time. I have it because I bought it CHEAP! But I want a bigger machine. I have been looking in to the 180s and such. My 135 does a nice job until you put something heavy in front of it.

I would go with the bigger one. A while ago I worked at a place that had a 120 volt lincoln and it worked ok if it was pugged in to an outlet near the pannel but if it was plugged into an extension cord or an outlet further away it wouldn't weld as well. you can do a lot with a 110/120 volt unit but you can do more with the 220 machine.

I bought a 140 about 5-6 years ago and it's been a great little machine, as long as you don't expect too much from it. At the time all I had was 110 in the shop and $1000 to spend. With the bottle contract, a spool of wire and sales tax it was $1008. I use an old Lincoln pipeliner for all my heavier and structural stuff.

Latest posts

Back