MIG welding gas pressure???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alienbaby17

Hey folks-
Sorry if this has been covered other places- I didn't see it.
I just kind of wanted a confirmationthat I had the gas pressure set right for my welder.
I'm just using a little Lincoln Weld-Pak 10 that I recently converted to MIG after years of just using it as flux-core.
When we set it up for the MIG conversion I couldn't find anywhere that said what the gas pressure should be set at.
We hooked it up and opened the gas valve and the pressure went to about 22psi. I was able to find one place online that said 20-25 psi was good but that was it.
What's everybody else think?

Hat

Lower inside, even 15-18 works and saves you gas, outside or in a breeze, 18-20. Even in stronger wind you can turn up the gas to make a good weld if you have to.
Get a chunk of scrap and try it, change your gas, try it again. I have found that not all welding machines are the same. If you see any porosity turn it up.

Last edited:
I'd agree with Bonehead. I think I remember reading somewhere that 17 was the ideal AR/CO2 pressure not sure why that sticks in my head. Definitely turn it up outside or if welding dirty or rusty stuff not that you should ever weld anything unclean ;)

A couple of my bigger machines use more gas pressure, than my smaller ones. But you figure, just nozzle size alone should make a difference.

Thanks, guys.
I will turn it down some. I'm welding indoors and at the time was only welding 'new' steel tubing. I was kind of disappointed at how quickly I went through the gas.

I'll make the adjustment and check out the results.

Jay

Check for leaks, with soapy water and a paint brush. A small leak goes along way.

Also turn off the bottle and watch the guages. If they drop fast after you turn it off, you have a leak.

Last edited:
Will do.
When I was in Vo-tech and the instructors were teaching all of us young Auto. Mechanics students the proper ways to use the torch they really drilled into us the importance of checking for leaks- more than one story about a shop being "blown off it's foundation" by the careless mechanic with a cigarette coming into a shop filled with leaked gas and lighting up.
Scared me straight right then.:D
But I will double check all of that just to make sure nothing got damaged during setup.

Hat

Latest posts

Back