Shaping roadster panels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJinaTJ

I have a few panels that are going back to the earth from the inside out. I need to do a lot more dressing and a little shrinking on the insides, but here is the rough cut..

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Very nice work. I'm assuming you hammered the bead using the flat nose chisel in the pic. What did you use to back up the bead?

looks close, to me it looks like the crown and front edge are curved wrong to match an original piece.here are the ones i make that match original model A panels. also i would use 18 gauge over 20 for the added for strength. 20 is to thin in my opinion

001-48.jpg

002-43.jpg

003-37.jpg

004-34.jpg

001-49.jpg

I am not building a factory original part. I am making all of these panels with my 5 year old son so he has an understanding or how the metal moves. I understand your concern with the gauge, but 20g is fine for what we are doing here...

Nice looking panel btw..

"I am making all of these panels with my 5 year old son"

I built my 51 Dodge with my four year old daughter. She would sleep on my mechanic creeper under the truck when it was nap time.

hard to believe she is in university now.

gld03

"I am making all of these panels with my 5 year old son"

I built my 51 Dodge with my four year old daughter. She would sleep on my mechanic creeper under the truck when it was nap time.

hard to believe she is in university now.

gld03

You're a good an Charlie Brown...

Very nice work. Looks like you could make a whole roadster pickup body from flat panels of sheet metal.

This winter I might be attempting some low crown panels without an English wheel or other power tools. You could be getting a PM from me when that happens.

That tin work is inspiring and your help is the best you can get! I am in the process of retroing a 36 ford tudor I just picked up and there is some metal shaping I need to do on the fenders and cowling. I've build a couple of sixty"s vehicles but have not dealt with much "round shapes". I like your tools and tooling. adapt, improvise, overcome!

If the idiots don't like you then it's proves you are not an idiot!
66 Chevy C10 fleetside
66 Impala SS
36 Ford tudor slantback

Thanks for the kind words.. If you are not already a member check out metalmeet.com and allmetalshaping.com

This websites will really help you out. If you haven't heard me recommend it before check out metalshapingzone.com and you will the best metalworking dvd I have come across (and I have tons of them) for a very fair price..

LOL! It is funny you said that. I have a Ball Pein hammer that is just the right weight and I frequently use it with the sand bag because I have not found one I like any better.. I have quite a few of the fancy sandbag mallets and I still prefer mine.

Latest posts

Back