Cutting sheet metal with jig saw

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Good idea or bad? I've already spent about $1500 on my rebuild in the last few weeks so buying any new tools is out of the question for a little bit. I have a jig saw and was wondering how well it would cut my 18 gauge sheet metal with a metal blade. Any steps to take to make it go smoother?

Thanks ahead of time!

Cutting loose

Straight cuts? Patern work? Holes?

An angle grinder with cut off disk and a hole saw. Jig saw might be my last resort... Should be able to get the local air conditioning shop to cut and bend a few things for $20 if long straight cut or in order.

There is a sheet metal shop in my town that has a $60 min which will usually get me 30 minutes of work and the material in needed also.

Kurt

I've done it many times, you have to support it close to the cut and keep downward pressure on the sheet so it doesn't jump around. Use bi-metal blades, they are more flexible and last longer - sometimes if the blade is long enough and it breaks off close to the end, you can grind a few teeth off and use it again.

Well I haven't did much of any sheet metal work so I'm sure I'm going to make some scrap. So going back and forth to the ac shop probably wouldn't work out. I'm going to be making new skins to rap around the tubing structure of my rpu. I'm gonna need help to make them but that's a whole new thread lol. The cut off wheel in the grinder will work but that seams it would take forever on large pieces.

HF 4-1/2" grinder and cut off wheels. Probably cost 25$ in all. The wheels actually have decent life and the grinder will last about a year. I used to buy DeWalt cut offs for more $$, but I'd always end up breaking them somehow before I wore them down.

for straight cuts I like grinder, but for curves or circles Jigsaw. But you need to clamp it down and keep the clamp close to the cut otherwise it will bounce. Basically when you can;t focus on the steel its time to move the clamps

Have you thought about using a Skil saw? I get the abrasive blades at Wal Mart that fit the saw. It will cut steel like butter, just have to give it time on thick pieces. There are two kinds of abrasive blades, one for cutting masonry stone and brick, and the metal cutting ones, just make sure you get the right ones.

One of the guys I worked for would flip a plywood bl&de backwards in a table or skill saw to cut mild steel...galvanized....and diamond plate. Your mileage may vart but it worked.

yeah have done that with a portable power saw for light guage steel, dunno about it cutting diamond plate though, try it but be careful -- oh and wear earmuffs cos it is VERY loud.

Besides cutoff wheels I also use a metal cutting blade that fits on a grinder. It's about the same size as a cutoff & has raised "teeth" sort of things on the edges. It seems to never wear down & I use it for making long straight cuts. Sorry... don't know what it's really called.

BoB

I chopped my cab with only a Bosch jig saw and a DeWalt porta-band. Worked like a champ. Use quality metal blades, clamp your material and you'll find an rpm that works well for your setup. I've cut a ton of 16 and 18 gauge with no problems. One plus is with a nice blade (Bosch) the cut will need little if any prep befor you weld it.

Latest posts

Back