Think this is a good place to ask

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my rat Rod the back corner top roof piece is from the 30s and has the dark brown rusted pitted book the bottom half of the car is newer steel how can I make the older steel lighter brown or the new steel darker brown and if I was to sandblast the entire unit what it all go back to a shiny metal thanks guys

Only reason I'm asking such a stupid question is I want it all to blend together so it's harder to tell the new were steal from the old steel

If you have some other metal (scraps) from the lower half of your build, there are a couple of things to try. Linseed oil, shellac, satin clear spray, or motor oil. I would not go right to the car with it, because it may look pretty good when you first put it on, but the next day it changes.

Take a look at smallfoots AA build thread.
He aged his metal to match.
Sandblasting will clean up the rust but won't make it shine.
Torchie.

If the photo is a realistic representation - I'd leave it. I think the bottom will darken over time by itself, but it looks good as is.

Light wire brush the new metal, spray with Scrub Free, rinse with water.
This truck is all new sheet metal except for a 6" strip of body lines around the back, and the top 2/3 of the doors and cowl.

I think it looks great as is...two tone rust!
But to answer your question...any rubbing you do (like with a brillo pad or steel wool) on the darker rust will make it lighter for the time being. That may be enough to make it a closer match and then they will age more closely. Generally any finishes you apply to the lighter rust will make it match temporarily but over time they will become dissimilar.

I've been having some good luck misting on rattle-can dark brown camouflage ultra flat to simulate old rust. Go lightly with the misting and then spray more passes until you're happy with the tint. Like Bonehead said, maybe practice on something else first.
Keep on tinkering.

I hate my stuff to rust , but maybe put white vinegar on it.. it will eat a truck slam threw in less than a year at the mill . We get lime dust on the trucks and moisture mixes with it then you have like a cement thats stuck to your truck .. we put gal. white vinegar and joy dish soap in a bucket , and wash it , that will take it off , but if you have a naked place on your truck it will start to rust and eat it away ...I got a new T Bucket frame from speedway years ago with a factory oil on it , so I cleaned it with vinegar and the next day it had surface rust all over it .

Latest posts

Back