Hobart Handler 120 Help Needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I hope someone here can help me .

I have a Hobart Handler 120 that I bought 20 years ago . I've always welded had wire with it with no problems . Recently , I am welding new material into old material and the welds are just not acceptable .

Sooo , here is the problem ! I bought some .035 "flux core" wire to try . I understand you need a "flux core nozzle" for this . I searched everywhere I know of for a nozzle for my machine but can't find one anywhere . Is my machine/gun obsolete now ? Does anyone know where I can go for gun parts for this welder ?

I'm stuck on this project until I find that nozzle .

Thx ,
Gonzo

I'm not an expert but I was under the impression that you didn't need a nozzle unless you were using gas like argon/co2. with flux core it shouldn't be needed. The most likely cause of a bad weld is dirty material> Grind it realy well or sand blast it and try again.

Reverse the polarity if you are switching from gas to flux core. 35 is a little big for them small machines wont give you much options but high, I use a 30 with good results wish I find smaller for delicate work.

A flux core nozzle keeps excessive spatter and buildup out of your gas nozzle. You don't NEED it... but it does work to avoid shorting the contact tip to the gas nozzle and/or the work piece. (Good way to kill a circuit board... don't ask how I know. :()

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-handler-welding-gun-flux-cored-nozzle

Is the 120 machine rated for .035 wire ?

Good question. [S My old 140 would take .035, don't know about the 120... I'd think it has the same reversible drive rollers as the 140?

The 120 is rated for .035 . It's always worked well until now . I am welding 1/8'' - 50yr. old material to new 1/8'' material . No matter what I try it just doesn't weld right . I don't have a sand blaster but I did clean an grind before welding , all in vein .

o really don't need the Flux Core Nozzle to weld but it saves the gas nozzle and tip from getting spauled and clogged . Also you get a more direct view of your weld using the FCN .

I just need to know where to go to purchase parts for my 20 year old gun .
Thx ,
Gonzo

Latest posts

Back