‘52 Willys Pick Up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You both can be very proud of your truck. The interior looks comfortable without losing the truck feel.

Thanks fellers.

We finally put the rubber for the hood on and mounted it with the hinges instead of just setting it on. Also made the hood prop.. still need to mount the hood hold downs on the sides.

Started on the doors and of course it's not going so well. We had glass cut locally and the door glass is too thick. I fought that thing all day thinking I was doing something wrong. Finally put it together with the one piece that was good enough for a pattern and it works great. I mic'd the two pieces of glass and the new is 25 thousands thicker than the old one. .025 makes all the difference with new channels and fuzzys.

Now we're stuck(literally) cause all he has is 1/4'' and its too thick.

Plus the drivers side door latch is busticated and I can't find another one yet.
I'll drill the rivets out of it tomorrow and see if I can figure out a fix.

Attachments

• IMG-2521.jpg
    IMG-2521.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-2525.jpg
    IMG-2525.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2526.jpg
    IMG-2526.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2520.jpg
    IMG-2520.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
Rub the channels down with some Vaseline or spray silicon. Even if they’re tight, it will make them slide better until the channels wear in.

Bright idea.....

After pondering our door glass dilemma I decided we didn't have any thing to lose and took an orbital sander and water to keep it cool (and make a heck of a mess) and sanded one edge down 1/16th of an inch plus rounded the square edges off all the way around.

Sprayed the new channels down with silicone lube and put it back together the same way I did yesterday 3 or 4 times yesterday. Viola it works smooth as glass. Pun intended.

One down and One to go. It only took me 3 days to put the drivers side door together and hung.

Attachments

• IMG-2539.jpg
    IMG-2539.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2540.jpg
    IMG-2540.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-2534.jpg
    IMG-2534.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 16
Glad you got the glass to work.
People forget that all this kind of stuff was made per The company specs. Things like. Glass thickness. Screws lengths, etc. Most aren't even made anymore and the new stuff never quite matches up.
Be careful next time you go to paint as silicone spray is like the smell of a F$%t. You will have no idea where it's gone until you shoot paint and the dreaded "Fisheye" occurs.:eek:
[P [P [P
Torchie

I've heard some or all body shops don't allow silicon to even be in their shops.
Does that include Rain X too?

I would think so. Also things like Armour All and wet look tire treatments. WD 40.
The first dealer ship I worked in the body shop attached to the repair area. There was a hallway with a door dividing the two.
Every once in a while we would get some fisheye issues when som over excited wrench sprayed some sort of silicone based crap on stuff..😳
Torchie

Glad you got the glass to work.
People forget that all this kind of stuff was made per The company specs. Things like. Glass thickness. Screws lengths, etc. Most aren't even made anymore and the new stuff never quite matches up.
Be careful next time you go to paint as silicone spray is like the smell of a F$%t. You will have no idea where it's gone until you shoot paint and the dreaded "Fisheye" occurs.:eek:
[P [P [P
Torchie

That's what makes this stuff interesting even if it strains my pea brain sometimes. I know first hand about the silicone fish eye problem. But it didn't even cross my mind while I was dealing with the glass problem. Hopefully I won't have any more painting to do on this one.

I've heard some or all body shops don't allow silicon to even be in their shops.
Does that include Rain X too?

I never would have thought about Rain X causing the problems. Live and learn then you die and take all you've learned to the grave with you.

Down the road....

We got the door windows wrapped up finally and hung the passenger side door.
Put the hood hold downs on and just had to take it for a shake down run.
Still no shifter so still shifting it by hand thru the cover on the floor board.

Got PO'd and canceled the Lokar shifter order this afternoon. I may put the column shift back on it after Turkey day. I kinda hate that thought. We will see what we come up with there.

It runs well up to 85 then the bride started nagging. Some thing about too much traffic of some thing, I don't know. She also didn't like the burn out in front of the Post Office either so I gave her another small dose going back into the shop. You gotta check these things out right?

She says I can't drive her ride when I get finished with the small things.
We'll see how that works out for her down the road.

Ride is great on the Dakota frame, steers like a slot car and is really quiet in the cab. Good power and the brakes are great. No rattles or squeaks so far.

We drove it 25 miles and the only issue is a slight engine oil leak that I will need to find and cure then figure out why the fuel gauge isn't working and replace the noisy alternator then charge the A/C

Her next issue is getting it legal with no title. Not my problem :eek:[S:cool:

LIFE IS GOOD IN TOME, NEW MEXICO!!!!![cl:cool:[cl

Attachments

• IMG-2552.jpg
    IMG-2552.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2553.jpg
    IMG-2553.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-2556.jpg
    IMG-2556.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2549.jpg
    IMG-2549.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2546.jpg
    IMG-2546.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2550.jpg
    IMG-2550.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2551.jpg
    IMG-2551.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-2511.jpg
    IMG-2511.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 20
Glad the shake down run went good, Women all seem to be the same, mine doesn't understand that hot rod tires come with extra rubber that has to be burned off at intervals to renew the tread. :D:D

Glad the shake down run went good, Women all seem to be the same, mine doesn't understand that hot rod tires come with extra rubber that has to be burned off at intervals to renew the tread. :D:D

It also keeps them from having flat spots.[ddd Congrats on the successful shake down run. Pops. Real cool truck.[cl[cl[cl

It's always a bonus to have a successful maiden voyage [cl:cool:
If the fuel gauge is stuck on full, look for a bad ground issue.
I like the American shifter better than the Lokar and they look the same. On the American shifter you have a choice of pulling it to the drivers side to shift it out of park or push the top button.

Beautiful truck. You and Mrs. Pops know how to build them. It's a real plus that it rides and handles well.[cl

Latest posts

Back