Can you dig this ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

I was standing in Johnston Supply, Springfield Mo, about three months ago when, this older guy walks in and asks if the little blue 66 Chevy pickup was mine.
I answered yes and the conversation carried on for few minutes. He stopped and asked if I knew anyone who wanted a 48 GMC for $400 and I told him I'd be interested.
He then said, I have a 66 Buick Gran Sport I bought new, would you be interested in it. YES, YES, and YES did I say YES [dr
Turns out, one owner, all numbers matching, 401 nailhead, two door coupe (post) 4 speed car.
I done my research and they only made 1835 post cars which is kool but, the over the top kool is this car is a post with a 4 speed tranny :eek: they only made 308 post cars with a 4 speed [dr[dr[dr :cool:
He knew all about this and said he would take $2000 for it and that I should know he had given it to his son with the understanding it was to be taken apart and a frame off restoration to be done. Yep you guessed it 1000 pieces, his son went to the service as a career and is no longer interested in it.
I couldn't get picks because, it is in the loft of one of his buildings. The ole boy put it there 10 years ago.
I will start getting pics the day we go to remove it from it's present resting place, in two week and post them here.
Don't worry I already paid him the total amount and have the title in hand.
It being apart is a bonus for me. I'll put the body on the rotisserie and install new floor pans and patch panel the small rust holes behind each rear tire, bout the size of the top of a quart jar lid then finish a restore on it :)
Had to tell someone so gang, you're it ;)

He then said, I have a 66 Buick Gran Sport I bought new, would you be interested in it. YES, YES, and YES did I say YES [dr
Turns out, one owner, all numbers matching, 401 nailhead, two door coupe (post) 4 speed car.

Dude... those were pretty rowdy cars!!! U r a LUCKY DOG!!!

BoB

:mad: I don't think I've ever hated someone as much as I hate you right now! :mad:

My first car was a '66 Skylark 4dr-Hardtop, "365 Wildcat" (340 CI / 365 lb-ft torque) Not a muscle car per say but all a 16 yr. old kid needed. Just because I don't have a good pic of mine doesn't mean you can get by without posting pics...........here's one Mom took of me and my dog. :D

.........Okay, I'm over my mad spell, congrats on an awesome find! [cl[cl[cl

SF i'm glad I cold stir up some memories :)
I'll get pics posted as soon as I can but, it'll be about two weeks so, stay tuned [P

Wow!!!

Wow.......wow........man....wow......did I say WOW!!?? OI you were in the right place at the right time....very nice score....[cl

That car is worth some serious money and really needs a proper restoration. Sounds like you already know that. To do it right you need to use as many original parts as possible, finish the entire car the way it was done from Buick originally, and document every step of the process. You will be spending some serious money to do it right, but you will have something very rare and special in the end.

I am like the rest of the guys, I envy you for scoring this one. My 66 GTO was a post car, with trips and a four speed, and I wish I had that one today.

Please post lots of pictures so we can watch this one come together.

Don

I figured on doing a restore, to as close to factory as I can.
I have to admit, it's a bit intimidating to have such a rare car and being responsible for the correctness.
I'll start a build thread on this one as soon as I can get it home.

:mad: I don't think I've ever hated someone as much as I hate you right now! :mad:

.........Okay, I'm over my mad spell, congrats on an awesome find! [cl[cl[cl

:eek:Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the freakin phone.....I think I'm mad again. :mad:
I don't know how I missed it but you say it's a "post car" ? That's my all time favorite body style for almost every car out there! So many folks go nuts over hardtops and ragtops but give me a two door post any day!

I figured on doing a restore, to as close to factory as I can.
I have to admit, it's a bit intimidating to have such a rare car and being responsible for the correctness.
I'll start a build thread on this one as soon as I can get it home.

Glad to hear you're planning a resto, that's definitely what this car deserves. Hope to build my Chevy II post car into a resto looking plain Jane factory hot rod someday.

Okay, I'm over my mad spell again.........carry on good Sir! :D
Looking forward to your "Buick Build" [P[P

:D :cool: Yep a post car :cool: :D
I'm in the same boat as you SF. My 65 Goat is a post car too.
If this car had of been a hardtop 4 speed there were 2,199 of them and 431 convertible 4 speeds.

Waiting for pics [P
I have to apologize, when I went to pay for the car I was so excited I forgot to take pics for this thread. You'd think I was 18 instead of 62 :eek:
Hang in there, I've got to be in Laughlin for a bike show Wednesday thru Sunday and won't be home until midnight Monday.
I will get the car one day next week and post all the pics from it being in the loft of the building it's stored in to the ride home :)

parts

nice thing is, if it ain't all there the aftermarket has tons of stuff for the GM A-bodies, just about build one outta the catalogs & web surfing versus when we had to scrounge like hell or drive all over in the old days just to find fixable stuff.

good job on the find of such a cool car [cl.

Later :cool:

Latest posts

Back