Kool Car Photos!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ford-t-model-hot-rod-double-trouble-7.jpg

they look like the 450's for tunnel rams. no spring can and 1 to 1 linkage. that would be the passenger side your looking at on the closes carb.

they look like the 450's for tunnel rams. no spring can and 1 to 1 linkage. that would be the passenger side your looking at on the closest carb.

Correct on the type of carb, all the linkage is on left side of carb.

BUT, that's not the problem.

It's the fuel bowls, as mounted the carb on the drives side is correct, the other one is mounted backwards.

With side pivot floats the DS carb will work great under hard acceleration, the gas will slosh to the rear and the float will drop to the bottom of the bowl, allowing maximum fuel flow into the bowl.

the PS carb not so good, under hard acceleration the gas sloshes back causing the float rise and cut off a substantial amount of fuel flow, causing the 4 cylinders it feeds to run way leaner than the cylinders fed by the other carb.

The proper fix for maximum power would be to turn the PS carb around and re-do the linkage.

the easy way out would be to replace all of the float bowls with center pivot floatbowls, tus maintainig a more consistant float height under hard acceleration or heavy braking.

Correct on the type of carb, all the linkage is on left side of carb.

BUT, that's not the problem.

It's the fuel bowls, as mounted the carb on the drives side is correct, the other one is mounted backwards.

With side pivot floats the DS carb will work great under hard acceleration, the gas will slosh to the rear and the float will drop to the bottom of the bowl, allowing maximum fuel flow into the bowl.

the PS carb not so good, under hard acceleration the gas sloshes back causing the float rise and cut off a substantial amount of fuel flow, causing the 4 cylinders it feeds to run way leaner than the cylinders fed by the other carb.

The proper fix for maximum power would be to turn the PS carb around and re-do the linkage.

the easy way out would be to replace all of the float bowls with center pivot floatbowls, tus maintainig a more consistant float height under hard acceleration or heavy braking.

i didn't think about that as i always ran them facing forward. i bet i would have figured it out quick though.:eek:

Latest posts

Back