1939 Plymouth Rat (snake)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the likes on the steering wheel downsize. I really like the art deco interior of the Plymouth, and am trying to keep the original look as much as possible.

I liked your steering wheel, too. How was your stuff to work with? Was it a little too stiff? My Plymouth wheel also needed plastic over the circumference rod, but I used a different brand name product.

I liked your steering wheel, too. How was your stuff to work with? Was it a little too stiff? My Plymouth wheel also needed plastic over the circumference rod, but I used a different brand name product.

The PC-7 was about the right stiffness. Much firmer than bondo, but not too much so. This is the first time I have repaired a wheel. Found out about the product via a Google search.

If it will help, Eastwood has a short tutorial on steering wheel repair with PC-7.
https://www.eastwood.com/steering-wheel-restoration-steering-wheel-repair-tips-from-eastwood

However, as you might expect, Eastwood's price on PC-7 is 2x the price on eBay or Amazon!

Time to buckle up!

Installed seat belts from a 1996 Infiniti I35 in the PlyMutt. Belts were gifted to me by a gear head friend, and had been laying around for some time.

The belts were surprisingly easy to adapt to the 39. The reel mounts inside the back seat panel, and the adjustable shoulder link fit flush on the B pillar. The latch and fixed belt end attached to the I35 seat, same as with the Mercedes seats. Better yet, the Japanese and German bolts attaching the belt and latch to the seat were the same.

Sometimes you get lucky!

Attachments

• IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
nice build, looked the hole thing over and that is some nice fab work. You have an english wheel

Thanks, Annamel.

Yes, I have an English wheel. I got the anvils years ago before they became so pricey, and made a frame with scrap steel that I had.

For this project, I only used the wheel for the rear pan. Except for the rear pan, the sheetmetal on the Plymouth was in very good condition, unlike a prior oddball project where I had to fab the whole lower 6" of the body!

Thanks cb.
I appreciated the restraint system you have installed.
I put much the same kind in my 50 GMC panel truck.
About a month after I sold it, the guy that bought in went head on into a power pole after clipping the rear quarter on a suburban at about 60 MPH.
Totaled the 50 GMC
He said the restraint system was what saved his life.
Safety first.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back