The legend of dirty joe!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a filter hidden somewhere that you've not found?

I missed, did you check the tank for crud? Pretty common for a vehicle thats been sitting a while to put crud from the fuel tank into the lines, filters, etc.

The tank was empty and clean when I scoped it. The filter I took of was clean. Thats not to say there isnt somethimg in it. Ill check tonight when i do tue fuel pump

So I have spent the evening replacing the water pump the, thermostat and a fuel pump. I also dropped the tank. Poke my head inside of it and It's relatively clean for how long it's been sitting. I could blow directly from the tank back into it. I could see fuel coming out of the filter on the inlet. But I am still having issues. I replaced any piece of rubber line that went from the Hardline to the gas tank itself and then from the frame Hardline to the fuel pump. While the truck is running I have fuel pressure if I crack them pressure side of the fuel pump line. But if I crack a carburetor I'm not getting anything. So I remove the fuel filter that I had after the pump. I put it directly in replace of the one that was already there. But it's still giving me issues. Here it is 11 and I'm running to the fuel station to get fuel because there's not much in it and I'm not sure if that is my issue or not

Got 4.5 gallons and dumped in it. I should have tried to start it before I dumped the fuel in it to see if it was a starvarion thing or just plain out. It took a good bit of time to get it started,but I did get it back in the shop. I shut it off and checked the carb again. No fuel!! Enough tomidle it and rev it up parked but not to drive it.

I then saw this. Not sure its the issue but it cant be helping. The main metal line is smashed 2 different ways right before the pump!

Attachments

• 0208222327a_HDR.jpg
    0208222327a_HDR.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0208222328_HDR.jpg
    0208222328_HDR.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
Well I couldn't leave it well enough alone oh, I cut the fuel line off that was collapsed before I left for work. That is not the issue either. It's obviously restricted but not by enough to make it do what it is doing. I push air through the hard line along the frame. It's clear. I believe back into the tank again and it seems to be my issue. I'll drop the tank again but I'm not a hundred percent sure how to get the fuel line out of the tank. There has to be some sort of Bulkhead on there I'm assuming for the sending unit and the inlet line. I have another truck showing up in the next day or two so I need to get this thing where it starts and runs

There may be an issue with the course filter on the pick up in side the tank.
I`m not sure what kind is in there but I had a problem like yours . Blowing air into the tank was no problem becaused the filter had a tear, but once fuel was pushing the tear closed up and the filter was clogged, so starvation...

There may be an issue with the course filter on the pick up in side the tank.
I`m not sure what kind is in there but I had a problem like yours . Blowing air into the tank was no problem becaused the filter had a tear, but once fuel was pushing the tear closed up and the filter was clogged, so starvation...

Yeah it's got a wire mesh style filter in the tank. I remember after talking to my dad a couple years ago his 68 Chevy did the same thing. This filter was dirty but inside the pickup tube at the 90 was plugged. The tank actually came out really easy so I'll drop it this afternoon and clean that thing out.

Found it!!! Plug in the pick up tube about half way up it!!! I had to drill out every screw and use an easy out. I only broke one off!!

Attachments

• 0209221642a.jpg
    0209221642a.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 13
Glad you found it. It’s been entertaining following along :p

Thanks guys!!

Ill put a little video togetjer of the first drive!! I turned on thebradio and it was on an 70-80s rock station. Ill get in trouble with youtube, but thensoumd from the spark Matt is speakers was gold!!

Attachments

• 0209222152a_HDR.jpg
    0209222152a_HDR.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0209222152_HDR.jpg
    0209222152_HDR.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 0209222156_HDR.jpg
    0209222156_HDR.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This all reminds me of a Subaru we had. Ran really good except when it had to really pull like uphill merge onto the highway. It tried cleaning the carb and checked the fuel filter under the hood and all looked OK. Chased it for a while and decided to just change the fuel filter. Go to the store ask for the fuel filter and I got one that was straight in and out and the one I saw had 3 ins/outs. Turns out at the rear there was a straight through filter also. So frustrating. Glad you found the problem. Really like this project. I have an 89 F150 that coincidentally I nickname the Prospector. A guy I used to work with called me prospector because of my big beard. I even had a couple stickers made I'll post later. It has been sitting a while but an=m inspired by your build. Jim

I had a plugged fuel line on my 52 F1, I used a old wire liner from a mig welder uncoiled the end a little like a corkscrew and put the other end in a drill and run it from one end to the other, it cleaned out most of the varnish that had clogged the line

I had a plugged fuel line on my 52 F1, I used a old wire liner from a mig welder uncoiled the end a little like a corkscrew and put the other end in a drill and run it from one end to the other, it cleaned out most of the varnish that had clogged the line

Cool fix. I'll try to remember it if I ever need it.

Oh yeah!

Attachments

• 0211221621e_HDR.jpg
    0211221621e_HDR.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 0211221618a_HDR.jpg
    0211221618a_HDR.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0211221619_HDR.jpg
    0211221619_HDR.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 14
  • 0211221618d_HDR.jpg