36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This story is not THE thirty-six Ford truck and it isn't even about building.
But it is about a thirty-six Ford truck and it will be built.
I'm still friends with the guy I bought my '36 from twenty five years ago and he said he always liked those thirty-sixes, so I told him "Have I got a deal for you". "You can have all of my leftovers". He took the deal. Today he came out to the farm and we loaded a bunch of stuff up. there were two cabs, [a '36 and a '37], a really rough box, pretty good front fenders, headlights, rough rear fenders, and a box of small stuff like gauges, speedo, and door latches. A windshield and two mediocre grilles.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 22
I've noticed that about me, ZZ. The thought of some of my inventory coming alive again is very gratifying, even if someone else is the builder. AND I'm finally realizing that I can't finish all of my dreams; I better stick to a few dreams and make them come true.

My buyer client sent me some pictures last night. He has found an appropriate Ranger pick-up, stripped it down, and moched-up a 36 Ford on it.
I've spent an hour now getting these pictures into the computer and I can't get them onto this forum. Sorry.

After a lot of weirdness and jumping through computer generated hoops, I have got some moch-up pictures for you, [I hope].

Notice his nice dove grey '46 Mercury in the background in the shed.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 19
Bob, I'm starting to acknowledge my age, I've counted up my future projects, and I have to make some room in my machine shed for the finished projects. My age is actually creeping up on me. I have 14 or 15 possible 'ten year' projects ahead of me, which is logically 'undoable'. There are two projects nearing completion and I have no more room in the big shed, so something had to go. I will keep the top five or six vehicles to build.

The speedometer cable had to bend fairly sharply before, to get around the brake booster, so now that the driven gear housing is sticking out quite a bit further, the speedo cable has to kink even more. One solution would be to mount a corner drive in the speedo cable. It just so happens that I bought two of those angle-drives at the big swap-meet. One of them was for a big truck, so not for this application, but the other was pretty good except for one mounting position, [where you should screw on the cable nut]. The seller had lathed down the male threads and mounted a brass bushing on that end. It didn't work for him and it certainly wouldn't work for me. I robbed the male threads out of another old speedo drive and made it fit this corner drive and pressed it together. [pic one]
[pic two] is the corner drive installed.
[pic three] is most of the truck put back together, like the crossmember, exhaust and driveshaft.

Is that a right angle dangle? LOL Coming along nicely Merc!

Bob, I'm starting to acknowledge my age, I've counted up my future projects, and I have to make some room in my machine shed for the finished projects. My age is actually creeping up on me. I have 14 or 15 possible 'ten year' projects ahead of me, which is logically 'undoable'. There are two projects nearing completion and I have no more room in the big shed, so something had to go. I will keep the top five or six vehicles to build.

Smart move, Mac.
What ever you build you know we will all be watching.[P [P
Torchie

Today I fired up the '36 truck after it's long holiday. I remembered that the engine ran funny at most speeds but nicely at an idle, so I took the main carb apart ---again, and found a little wee air vent plugged off so I cleaned it out and while I had the carb apart, I changed the power valve from a 3.5 to a 4.5.. [pic one]. [pic two] is the carb all back together again and everything ready for a test-drive.
The test-drive went well.

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back