1927 Roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

Hey guys, I've been gone for at least a year or more. I had to put my car addiction on the back burner so I could work on a couple dozen construction projects the misses asked me to finish. So now I'm nearly finished and I'm itching to start a new car project.
Ever since I joined this forum I've been trying to decide what year and model from the 20's or 30's would best suit my vision. As the title suggest, it's going to be a 27 Roadster. I had decided I didn't want to build anything from the ground up and always thought a roller would be best suited for my first attempt at this. My only problem is I don't really know what the heck I'm doing when it comes to the value of anything related to a Rat / Hot Rod from the 20's. Anyway, I found a 27 Roadster on the HAMB and thought it would be a good idea to run it by the experts over here at Undead Sleds
Here's the link https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1927-ford-roadster.1268371/
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and or advise. To me it looks like a good start with decent parts for a Roller.

Attachments

• upload_2022-7-5_16-25-38.jpg
    upload_2022-7-5_16-25-38.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 62
Cool looking ride.
Looks like a good starting point to a traditional hot rod. The price is way out of my reach, but more power to you.
How hard is it to get a title where you are?
Torchie

I know up here in Washington I can probably get a title for easy. But each state it's different. Not sure he's too far off on the price. It does look like a very good start

Welcome back ORR :) Not cheap but it's real steel and looks nearly ready for the road. It seems he is willing to come down on the price. Probably due to the lack of a title. Researching the titling process in your state would be my first move. Odd that the seller described the engine when it wasn't being sold with it.

Welcome back ORR :) Not cheap but it's real steel and looks nearly ready for the road. It seems he is willing to come down on the price. Probably due to the lack of a title. Researching the titling process in your state would be my first move. Odd that the seller described the engine when it wasn't being sold with it.

That's because there are two different prices. At the top of the ad you can see it's $15K, but he will sell it for $8K less the motor and trans.

I don't know about the price or the market down there, but assembling a collection of vintage parts like that can cost a lot so I don't think he's too off base.

A few important things: 1. Find out if you can title/register it easily where you are. 2. Model T's are small. Will you fit in it comfortably for the driving you plan to do? 3. Make sure any chassis work was done well, otherwise you're paying for work that basically has to be scrapped and redone and wasting your money.

Cool looking ride.
Looks like a good starting point to a traditional hot rod. The price is way out of my reach, but more power to you.
How hard is it to get a title where you are?
Torchie

Thanks Torchie, Titles in CO are a bit of a process but doable. (Anyone from Colorado please speak up if I'm wrong.)

I know up here in Washington I can probably get a title for easy. But each state it's different. Not sure he's too far off on the price. It does look like a very good start

Thanks LB, That's what I thought, a good start.

Thanks Earthman, Ya he's gonna pull the engine and trans.

I don't know about the price or the market down there, but assembling a collection of vintage parts like that can cost a lot so I don't think he's too off base.

Thanks Snopro, Again that's what I thought, a nice collection of vintage parts. I like the 28 Durant "Star" hub cap on the Chriscraft steering wheel. The only reason I know what that is is because I was looking at a 28 Durant roadster here locally the other day.

A few important things: 1. Find out if you can title/register it easily where you are. 2. Model T's are small. Will you fit in it comfortably for the driving you plan to do? 3. Make sure any chassis work was done well, otherwise you're paying for work that basically has to be scrapped and redone and wasting your money.

Thanks again Snopro, Yes like I said above titles are a process but doable. He say's there's a serial number on the frame but the frame is a 32 and the body is a 27. I wonder how that'll work at the DMV? I hadn't thought about the size of it. I'm 6' and about 240 so if I don't fit I won't feel bad about selling it, which is my plan anyway. Yes on the chassis work! My plan will be to pull the body off and maybe put a 4 link in the rear. He sent me some pictures and it looks like it has a transverse spring in the rear now?

I'm currently working on a list of questions for a phone conversation scheduled for later this week.
We'll see how it goes and figures crossed this post will turn into a build thread in the near future.
Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping for the Rolls engine:D

Winner winner E-man. But, I've discovered it has been done before so instead, it'll be one of a few.
It's a 1961 6.2 liter from a Silver Cloud. These engines are pretty cool with their attention to detail. A few fun facts; When the engine was first being developed they would run them for 500 hours @ WOT. They have a forged crank and gear drive cam. They're all aluminum with wet sleeve cylinders. They're only 185 HP with an 8.1 compression ratio but have over 330 ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm. They rival the SBC being produced for 63 years.
The trans is a 4 speed Hydramatic, think old GM. General Motors licensed Rolls to build them in I think 1955.
Unfortunately, I can't find the cable necessary for moving pictures from my phone to my lap top so here's a link to a write up and a pic from the web.
https://www.collierautomedia.com/inside-the-rolls-bentley-great-eight

Attachments

• 01_Original_V8_top-uai-1280x827.jpg
    01_Original_V8_top-uai-1280x827.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 29
OK Yes, I did get the car a few weeks back. The guy I bought it from was kind enough to deliver it for a reasonable fee. Here's some photo's. Some are from his garage and some are from my shop. The first is him leaving from AZ @ dark thirty. It's a a 12 hour trip door to door.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 34
  • AZVE9957.jpg
    AZVE9957.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7900.jpg
    IMG_7900.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7899.jpg
    IMG_7899.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7907.jpg
    IMG_7907.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7911.jpg
    IMG_7911.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9938.jpg
    IMG_9938.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9944.jpg
    IMG_9944.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
  • upload_2022-7-5_16-25-38.jpg
    upload_2022-7-5_16-25-38.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 33
So I have the 27 stuffed in a container at my shop up in Craig. That's 50 miles from my shop and home in Steamboat. I just don't have the time or space to work on it here in Steamboat where all my tools and equipment are. But I scored an intake and carbs for the Rolls engine that's going in it to use for mock up. So I'm working on converting the stove pipe choke heater to electric since my plan is to build a set of headers and loose the hook up for the choke heater tubes. Today I decided to work on mocking up an air filter canister. Lo an behold I discovered a new way! I got into my wife's hobby cupboard an borrowed her hot glue gun, Man that thing is slick! Pics are of my first try for an air filter canister.

Attachments

• IMG_8104.jpg
    IMG_8104.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8103.jpg
    IMG_8103.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8102.jpg
    IMG_8102.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8105.jpg
    IMG_8105.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8106.jpg
    IMG_8106.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8110.jpg
    IMG_8110.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8111.jpg
    IMG_8111.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8112.jpg
    IMG_8112.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 22
Looks great..... cardboard and the glue gun, great for mock-ups. Glue drys so fast. I use it all the time!

It was a first for me. It never even dawned me. I've always used staples and tape.
Anyway, my friend Dale say's it looks like a Chelo on top of Diver Dan's scuba gear. I chuckled in agreement but, I already have a handful of new ideas as the proverbial creative process ball is now rolling.
I was up in Craig yesterday where both the Rolls engine and the 27 are. I test fitted the air-box plus, I took the Rolls seat back of the rear seat and dropped in in the 27.. It's absolutely close enough to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8138.jpg
    IMG_8138.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8139.jpg
    IMG_8139.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8144.jpg
    IMG_8144.jpg