Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Shop/Garage/Tool talk!

Shop/Garage/Tool talk! Discussion, Q&A about all things shop, garage & tool. Show us what ya got!!!

Old 09-04-2021, 11:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Shipping Container

Just got a 40ft shipping container at the farm for storage. Need to fix the ceiling holes first. Could cut and weld, or maybe build a roof over it. Also need proper ventilation. Welcome ideas on how to do this on a budget. Thinking run 220 in there now, build small secure shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210829_131642.jpg (182.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here are a few of the holes on top. Price was right on this older container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210829_145403.jpg (50.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-05-2021, 06:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Could you build a frame over the top and use the corrugated galvanized panels from Home Depot or Lowe's? Frame could be PT wood or metal with a slight peak. Jim
Old 09-05-2021, 09:06 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I would close the holes, whether by welding or some other method, but a separate roof would really help reduce the heat level in there. But you cannot beat one of these for security.

My grandpa had large a steel tank on the farm that he had converted into a small grainery. (He had put an old refrigerator door into the side of it - the old type that latched mechanically.) When the tank got rust holes on top, he patched it with oil-base paint. First he'd lay a thick layer of paint over the area, then lay on a piece of heavy cloth, paint over that till it was soaked, do another layer, etc. Sort of like fiberglassing, only with paint & cloth. That survived the Oklahoma sun quite well.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I was thinking little pieces of tin and lots of roofing tar. Cheap and easy. I don't know how well these things do runoff. A separate roof would likely be helpful for that and the other reasons mentioned.
I wish I had one. Sadly, my fair city would frown upon such a thing in my front yard.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I was thinking little pieces of tin and lots of roofing tar. Cheap and easy. I don't know how well these things do runoff. A separate roof would likely be helpful for that and the other reasons mentioned.
I wish I had one. Sadly, my fair city would frown upon such a thing in my front yard.
I would have one already at our future residence if my father-in-law didn't frown on them even stuck back in the woods. (Later this month it will be 1 year since he passed away, at 99 years of age, and we are working of fixing up his house, and will be moving out there. But I don't expect that to change the possibility of having a container, as my wife feels the same about them as her dad did, partly, I suppose, because she thinks I keep too much "junk".)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:07 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'd weld them up, then cover the top with something like mobile home roof coating, Cool Seal is one brand name. That semi liquid Flex seal would work, too, but probably more expensive.

If you do run juice to it, make sure it's WELL grounded. Be bad to touch the side and get shocked, or worse!

https://www.zazzle.com/2022_fat_fend...46680814180838
Old 09-05-2021, 03:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Appreciate the ideas. Just got dad's stout workbench. I tried to buy a 20 ft conex, can't get one, only rentals at $100 per month. Went to the store yesterday and priced metal for a roof skin, 36" by 8' cost $29 per., figure 14 of them would do it., then a wood frame also. That's my grand dog in the photo😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 652048450.jpg (132.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:55 PM

Put an exhaust fan where the holes are, weld up the rest of the holes and put a coat or 2 bed liner on it, I did the bed liner on a motor home roof and it never leaked the whole time I had it.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

If you want to use it as a shop you'll need lots of ventilation. Mine is for storage. I put a moisture absorbent in a bucket in there and it seems to get saturated quite quickly. It gets hot and moist in there, trying to find a good solution for static ventilation.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.