Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 09-25-2021, 04:54 PM
Creators of all things awesome

Default Berta

So I purchased a project that I'm working on with my kids and wife. Which means I'm doing the majority of the work there just helping when they feel like it hahaha. We recently made a family trip to Florence Oregon for the Bronco Roundup. I believe it is the biggest Gathering of early Broncos in the States but I could be wrong. There was over 300 Broncos registered and more than that running around town. My girls fell in love with the Broncos wife included. She had always liked them but after seeing them for 4 days she really wanted one. With the three girls two dogs and my wife and I we could not fit in a first gen Bronco, so I set my sights on finding a big body 78-79. A friend of mine knew a guy who had one sitting alongside the county road and was not doing anything with it. It took some persuading but I was able to buy it from him. Really straight, only found two small rust holes in the floor. Very good candidate for a solid start. I have since ordered 4 inch lift, 35 in tires and wheels , I bought a running 460 big block , I bought a L&L installation kit for the 460 which includes headers motor mounts oil pump oil pan and all the goodies needed. I ordered new back glass and the top seals. New carpet and I dropped the seats off at the upholstery shop to have a modern Flair put on the late 70s Vibe on the seats. This Bronco will kind of stay with the patina Rod style I build. I have started acid washing parts of body and it will receive the permalac clear coat that I use to lock in the patina. This particular Bronco is of a special line of Broncos that received what Ford called the freewheeling package. It was all cosmetic stuff like black mirrors black grill and headlight inserts along with black bumpers and a cool graphics kit. I will be putting a new graphics on it just a kind of help add to the contrast. I plan on running some sort of Holley throttle body fuel injection on it so it is drivable for anyone. Something a little different but hope you guys enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0918211507.jpg (138.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 0919211329.jpg (153.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 0921211720a.jpg (126.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 0921212239a.jpg (159.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0921212239e.jpg (156.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0924210545.jpg (197.3 KB, 21 views)

Minterfab.com
Old 09-25-2021, 07:25 PM

My girls went and did girls stuff with mom today, so i started cleaning. Whole bronco got and acid bath then I started waxing!! What a transformation!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0925211632_HDR.jpg (57.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 0925211646_HDR.jpg (148.3 KB, 27 views)

Minterfab.com
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Great score, really like those years of Broncos. Geez, if people waxed their cars more often, paint jobs would sure last longer, looking good
When you say acid wash, what is it that you use? Is it just to remove crud or also some surface rust too, and do you have to neutralize it after?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
Great score, really like those years of Broncos. Geez, if people waxed their cars more often, paint jobs would sure last longer, looking good
When you say acid wash, what is it that you use? Is it just to remove crud or also some surface rust too, and do you have to neutralize it after?
Hahaha, exactly!!!
It's just muriatic acid. My detail guy uses it. I didn't really notice to taking off any rust. I'm sure if you use something more abrasive and then a Terry towel it would. All I did was wipe the paint down with a Terry towel with the acid on it. To neutralize it you just wash it off with a normal Automotive soap. Works really well

Minterfab.com
Old 09-25-2021, 11:14 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Cool build LB. Like the 460.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerman View Post
Cool build LB. Like the 460.
Thanks bud!! Should be fun!!!!

Minterfab.com
Old 09-26-2021, 06:49 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I had a 79 shortbed F100 pick up I bought new. I always liked that generation. I remember the dealer having new Broncos and wishing I had the $$ to get one. Jim
Old 09-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That's different and cool to see. Cars that seem "newer" to some of us are approaching 40 years old so it's definitely time to start working with this era of vehicles.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:18 PM

Glad up u guys are enjoying it!!

Update video

https://youtu.be/lI_4rxlI99Y

Minterfab.com
Old 09-27-2021, 01:35 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

When I first cleaned my 46 with CLR and a scotch-brite, I was amazed at how much paint was hiding under rust on top of it. I would use different methods now, though.

I bought an International truck door at auction a couple months ago, and power polished it for all of 5 minutes. It looked like I would need to repaint it before I used a pretty mild compound, polish, and wax on it. Now it's shiny again.

It's amazing what a little TLC does to automotive paint. The Bronco is going to look great all polished up!

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.