When to "Throw in the towel"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I have had an 89 F150 for about 5 years. I bought it as a project but every time I make gains I see more issues. I have about 2K invested in this and lots of time. I was finishing the exhaust and noticed oil on the header. Maybe a valve cover. So when do you just cut your losses and just move on? Wife and I are both going to be semi retired in the next few months and with 401Ks tanking we are being careful. Thanks. Jim

I hear you there

20220320-155844.jpg

I got this project in November of 2021...had a blast tinkering with it...spent way more than I should have on it...got tired of the stupid English version of threads....finally sold it in April as a stalled project...I got what I payed for it and the shipping fees...all the parts I bought I ate that cost...

Don't miss it at all...

imagejpeg-0006.jpg

last pic we got as it went off to it's new care taker...

I would say you need to send it it away...

The decision is purely yours.
It's all based on each individuals financial situation and whether or not you're really into what you're going to end up with.
The amount of money invested is almost immaterial if it's something you want, if you're going to resale it then the money is every thing.

Here's what I do....
If it's something I really like, take my Lincoln for example, when things get tight or don't go right, I walk away from it for a while and let it sit. When things improve it it calls out to me, I go back to it with a new desire. Others that don't have that pull to them, after a little reflection get sold or traded. Longest I ever had anything was about 17 years, shortest was a few weeks. I've had vehicles that I had to hang onto because I couldn't afford a replacement, and just had to keep them going. The ones I really liked and held onto either were really great or really fit my lifestyle at the time, but eventually they didn't fit anymore, so then they left. Little problems can be aggravating, but can most times be worked through, bigger problems like engines and tranny's sometimes can't and you just have to move on.

Thank you all. I think if was the only project I had I would keep it. I had it since before covid and all and I was working full time and planned on putting in a new motor and trans so I wasn't to concerned with anything buying it for $700. The early FI and AOD trans are not that easy to do anything to. I think I will get it running and if my Son doesn't want it I will sell it. Thanks again. Jim

I call that "Diminishing returns."
You are putting more into it and getting less out of it.
I would send it down the road. Just like busses there is another one coming this way at any time.
JMHO....
Torchie

I agree, if its a flip to make money. There is a point tonstop putting money into it cause your throwing good money after bad

I'm a bit upside down in mine so I am putting no more into it, if I do its to keep it road worthy and sellable. But the more I drive it thats the return

I do mine for the joy of it. I try to do things myself or find ways to keep costs down, but at the end of the day I spend money on them because I enjoy it. They're not investments to me, they're enjoyment.

I usually keep my cars a long time but once they become a pain & are no longer fun... for me... they have to go!

BoB

Latest posts

Back