oil pump ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onequick26

Puts Nitro on his Cheerios
OK kat's and kitten's,
As some of you know im puttin a 327 sbc in my rod.I put a new cam and gaskets in it over the winter and now my distributor dose not want to seat it's self on the pump shaft.This is a very low mile engine but the pump shaft is a bit wobely in the pump. the distributor gear is meshing with the cam.

Are you absolutely sure that the pump drive shaft is perfectly clocked with the distributor drive shaft? If it's not perfectly aligned, the distributor won't drop. Also, do you have a plastic or metal sleeve at the oil pump end of your distributor drive shaft. If it's metal (the way to go in my opinion), make sure that the sleeve is not binding around the pump shaft.

I'm not sure if you are doing this but....
When I install the dist. I back off one tooth from where I want # one to be on the rotor button location.
Then after the gears mesh, I rotate the engine clockwise with a socket and power handle on the crank bolt. When the male end on the dist. lines up with the female end on the oil pump shaft., the dist falls in the final amount and rotor button is lined up with where I want # one to be.

BTW......I like the rotor button to point at about the Five o'clock position for # one. But you can put it where ever. The dist. doesn't know which cylinder it's firing. All it knows it fires each time it sweeps by a terminal. As long as you go 18436572 it will run.

The "wobbly" part is because the distributor holds the end you deem wobbly. It'll "right" itself when your dizzy's all the way down. You need to rotate the engine, preferably w/a remote starter button while GENTLY pushing down on the dizzy. Unless you put a longer Big Block pump shaft in, it'll go

I always line up the slot in the oil pump shaft with the tang on the dist shaft by using a l-o-n-g flat-tip screwdriver down the dist hole and turning the shaft until it looks real close. Usually the dist will drop right in and seat.

Latest posts

Back