chevy oil cooler bypass adapter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi guys this has probably been talked about before but I cant find any info anywhere. I want to eliminate all the leaking dripping oil lines running from my oil filter to my rad.I have found out that I can remove the oil filter cooling housing and replace with any old chevy oil filter adapter that came with hundreds of chevy 350 engins that never ran oil coolers.Problem is GM part is 50 bucks plus bolts. and auto wrecker doesn't have any old core motors to rob the filter adapter from.Would it be ok to just get a piece of hose and just
loop the inlet to outlet lines together right at the filter.Or even remove the lines and plug them off.Has anybody ever done this.
And please don't ask why am I doing this as thousands of chevy 350 engins have run forever without the oil coolers with no problems .So I am going to do this one way or another.if anybody has done this please let me know how you did it.Den

Most auto parts stores sell that adaptor, the O'Reillys in my neighborhood part # is MFA350 and they are $24.95 that is a milling brand part.

Running a 93 1 ton 350 auto. Lines leaked on mine as well. The gasket between the block and adapter was leaking real bad. Replaced the gasket, removed the lines and just used pipe plugs (3/8" on mine) causes no problems, filter operates just as it always did. If I go back to pulling 5th wheel trailers etc. I'll replace the lines with new ones using the old ends and 1/2" neoprene hose. I don't see any rise in temp, even during the extreme heat we had recently, but I also haven't worked the truck long and hard like I have in the past. As a daily driver, no big deal.

Last edited:
Hey thx sniper that's what I wanted to know couple pipe plugs and im good to go thanks .
Anybody else ?

Most auto parts stores sell that adaptor, the O'Reillys in my neighborhood part # is MFA350 and they are $24.95 that is a milling brand part.

Hi ya looked for the adapter at 4 parts stores in town here ..nothing .. even the wreckers didn't have an old block I could rob it from.
so mayby easiest to just plug it off .if its safe to do so.Den

Did the same thing on my kids 89 1 ton 4x4...

Hi ya looked for the adapter at 4 parts stores in town here ..nothing .. even the wreckers didn't have an old block I could rob it from.
so mayby easiest to just plug it off .if its safe to do so.Den

kept the adapter, plugged the oil lines with pipe plugs and good to go...no runs no drips no errors.... :D

Thx guys grabbed some pipe plugs from work tonight and will be pluggin her off tomorrow.thx for all the help ill let you all know how it goes. oh ya same with the rad side too eh.Den

sounds like it,s a go to plug it off as a few of you have done it with no problems.just wondering if anybody has found any drawings out on the web that accually shows the path of the oil as it goes from engine to cooler to rad and back.if it gets plugged off does it all just go through the filter.seems to me the route would be from engine to supply line to cooler then return to filter then to engine and if ya plug it off would it not go through the filter wouldn't it be better to just put a loop it it down by the filter. just askin...opinions?

they have bypass valves in the adapter......

sounds like it,s a go to plug it off as a few of you have done it with no problems.just wondering if anybody has found any drawings out on the web that accually shows the path of the oil as it goes from engine to cooler to rad and back.if it gets plugged off does it all just go through the filter.seems to me the route would be from engine to supply line to cooler then return to filter then to engine and if ya plug it off would it not go through the filter wouldn't it be better to just put a loop it it down by the filter. just askin...opinions?

you could simply remove them but I didn't and it filters the oil fine with the hose lines plugged ...oil pressure is normal and it seems to filter it fine...so did not bother to remove the bypass valves....but that is just me...any other ideas or comments??

Plugged it off and no problems .I have also been told that you can just unbolt the aluminum adapter and spin the filter directly to the block.Thanks for the help guys hopfully this helps someone else also..Den

Latest posts

Back