GRRRR!!!! Rochester BC flooding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer32

I'm having issues with the "new" Holley rebuilt Rochester carb on the 235 in my 58 HellRay. I can get it to start, but it is pumping HUGE amounts of raw gas into the intake. When I first mounted up the carb had a manifold leak, and it spit back through the carb pretty hard. Does the BC have a power valve that will blow out when it sneezes back through the carb? I haven't torn the carb apart since it is SUPPOSED to be rebuilt, so I haven't checked float level. What gripes me most is that I bought the rebuilt carb because I couldn't get the original carb to stop flooding...this one is even worse than the first one.

Maybe the needle valve is stuck? Hit it with a big hammer! No just tap it with the handle end of a screwdriver. They don't have a power valve like a Holley. I think its a ball and a spring? I'd think about taking it back.

Maybe the needle valve is stuck? Hit it with a big hammer! No just tap it with the handle end of a screwdriver. They don't have a power valve like a Holley. I think its a ball and a spring? I'd think about taking it back.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the top off and check the needle and seat since the carb is already off the car again. I've had this one off 4-5 times already, and the other one I took off and pulled apart 3-4 times before giving up and buying the Holley rebuilt unit.

problem???

they were partial to leaky floats, pull the top and check the float:cool:

I always picked up any for spares that i found and usually took out the floats dont know why they failed so often

they were partial to leaky floats, pull the top and check the float:cool:

I always picked up any for spares that i found and usually took out the floats dont know why they failed so often

Float seems fine-doesn't appear to have any gas in it. As far as I can tell it isn't sticking, but I haven't got spec for level to check if it's too high. Given the amount of gas in the intake it could only have come from stuck float or power valve. I did notice that the power valve will stick if it's forced down in the bore and over to the side, but I don't know how that would happen in operation...didn't notce if it was stuck when I took off the part that holds it in the carb body to check that the spring and ball were in there. Are there any other check balls/valves that would cause the thing to dump like that?
So, I guess I'll button it up YET AGAIN and see if it'll work right. I'm at the point that I'm ready to part this pig or pull the motor/trans and sell it as a titled parts car.

Youre first sentance states the problem "Holley rebuilt". When the words Carb and rebuilt are used together you come up with junk. There just are no good over the counter rebuilt carbs. I have bought the Holley ones and I am pretty sure I did more work on the dam thing than Holley did. It was completly unusable out of the box. They will be a hodge-podge of parts and it may be impossible to ever make it work right.
I ran my own shops for years and had nothing but bad experiences with any kind of over the counter reman carb. If I couldn't rebuild it myself they got a NEW carb. So toss that piece of crap, go find a good core and rebuild it yourself. That carb is dead simple to rebuild. The power valve shouldn't blow out but you can check to see if it is moving freely. Only once did I have a big problem rebuilding one and apparently when I soaked it a crack opened up in the vacuum chamber of the power valve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back