starter for 1958 283

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
Chevy experts, my 283 engine has a casting number of 1958. The holes in the block are about a quarter in. closer than a 350 so an after market starter with 2 hole straight bolt pattern will not work. This block does have 3 holes for a staggered bolt pattern starter and a 350 starter will bolt up but the starter gear is too long and already engaged with the flex plate. Advance auto parts lists a Bosch starter sr535x as a replacement but the ones pictured on the website show the mount to be like a ford, bolts to the bell housing. Anybody got a starter for a 58-283 or can tell me what up with this?...[S

I also have a '58 283 which served in 4 Chevys before retiring to my shed. :(

Anyhow, the starter uses all three holes. I understand the pattern is unique to '58-'61 Chevys for turboglide automatic applications. (Powerglide and standard transmissions mounted the starter on the bellhousing.) You need a turboglide starter... or the snout which swaps onto many Delco starters if I recall correctly.

Latest posts

Back