bouncing oil pressure gauge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

:confused:I was on my way home the other evening and noticed that the oil pressure gauge was bouncing from 40 ish to 25-30 and back up as I was going down the road. never happened to me before. full of clean oil, not very many miles on oil change. any ideas? Oil pump? cam bearings?
I am getting the oil pressure from the top of the motor at the back on the 400M ford motor out of a 1979 Lincoln. only around 40000miles on her original

Last edited:
Are you running a sending unit or is it a tube feed gauge?
I may be stating the obvious but If it is a sending unit I would pull it and replace it before I started tearing into the engine. Also check the gauge as well.
Let us know what you find.
Torchie

I had a piece of Teflon tape get in the oil gauge of one of my race cars and done a weird false pressure reading once.
Never used Teflon tape again on any car parts just Permatex Teflon paste now.

I once overfilled a 327 by one quart (misread the dipstick) and it did the same thing to the oil pressure - crank whipping the oil foamed it up and brought air into the system. What oil did you use? Like Torchie said, check the cheap and obvious things first....
Unusual but not unheard of is the oil pump drive shaft rounding off on the hex end that fits into the distributor gear.

had to comfort the wife after minor surgery last night. I plan on looking into it this evening after the family is taken care of. I will keep you guys informed on what I find. thanks for the places to look into.

I appreciate this site. [cl :cool:

Latest posts

Back