Old school hotrod model A pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had figured on just replacing the shocks. I will have to change the mounts.
I haven't gotten rid of the spring yet. I would like to find a dearched spring, but I haven't found anything yet.
I have figured out that the cheap and easy stuff has already been done.

413263866.jpg

Figured you guys were due for an update.
I got the trailing arms put together. I need to get some more bolts.
I was able to retain the leaf spring by installing longer bolts.
The stock shock system is going to work. I need to make a top bracket for them.
Most of the things I figured would be a big problem worked themselves out and some simple items are proving to be a problem. I need a 9/16" bolt 10" long. Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but I am not having any luck finding one.

Holy crap, $38 each!
I was able to find a 9/16" u bolt that was long enough. I cut off the straight part and welded a nut to the top. Works good.
I had to relocate the sway bar to the rear because the trailing arms hit. Working on shock mounts.

Making some progress.
Started working on the cab. I am going to channel the cab 4".
I went to the spring Jefferson swap meet and made out like a bandit. Got a like new brake pedal assembly with the power brake booster for $50. The pedal lists for that. I just need the master cylinder. $29 at auto zone.
I picked up a nice set of chromed valve covers for the 276 hemi for $50. My friend that went with me remembered that he had a nice set of rebuilt spindles that he gave me. That dropped the price of the front end kit about in half.
I found out that I can shoehorn a 15" steel rim onto the vette rear hub, so that will save me $390 for the same wheel and tire package going with 15" vs 16".
I am working on squaring and bracing the cab so I can cut the rockers for channeling.

BBT showed up last night with a bunch of front end parts for me. I replaced the front spring with 29" reversed eye one, new shackles and spring perches and lower shock mounts, rereamed the steering arms and put in the new tie rod. I found out that I need to make a spacer for the front spring clamps.
I also got the hubs, rotors and disc brake kit for the front.
I also need to shorten the wishbone mounts.
I did get the box fit to the frame. I need to drill some holes to fasten it to the frame, but it sits down pretty good. I have the firewall marked for cutting to channel it over the frame but I decided to let my friend with his new plasma cutter do the honors. Those things really work slick.

I found out that the tie rod was awful close to the cross member when it was mounted on the top of the steering arms, so I decided to scrap the wishbones and switch to hairpins with the tie rod on the bottom. Still ended up having to bend steering arms, but got that done yesterday and got the hubs and brakes on.
About ready for some wheels and tires. Next step is channeling the cab and going to get the engine so I can start working on that.

Latest posts

Back