Need Help! Ford 302

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiki

I have a oppurtunity to get a ford 302 with a auto gearbox. Its from a 1988 Mustang(so does seller say) but it is pulled out of a Plymouth(blasfemy:p)...the car was used in armed bank robbery 5-6 years back...was a getaway car:D

So the help that i need is:
-Where are numbers located so I can check(read that some of You guys) the real origin of that engine and the gearbox?

v83lx8.jpg

v84bd0.jpg

Price for engine and gearbox is some 600$...hasnt run in few years but it turns...
So guys, do You think its worth the money?

Please I need an answer asap because there are some other buyers and I need to be sure what im buying.

The block casting number are on the block in the area of the starter. You will have to remove the starter to see them. There should be a info. decal on the drive side valve cover. Look for a aluminum tag on intake right behind the distributor. Also there could be a date code stamp on the top of the driver water passage between the timing cover and were the head meets the block. get the number from any of those location and I should be able to help you out. (pictures would help).
looking at the intake it not a 1988 mustang. they had the SEFI system. The one in the picture is an early 80's throttle body system. I'm not sure if that system was even used in 1988.

T-Bird used the early TB EFI starting in 1983. I don't remember Mustang having anything like this, although I could be wrong. I concure with the look for the aluminum tag on the TB. "E" indicates the decade of the 80's. A number after the "E" would indicate the model year (i.e. E5, E6, E7 would indicate 1985, 1986, 1987 respectively). The same would hold true with any emissions sticker on the valve cover. I hope this helps.

I think $600 is way too much for that particular engine. Lots of pollution stuff and that throttle body would have to be replaced with an intake and carb if you didn't want to go through the computer routine. I bought a complete, running Mustang to get the 5.0 and auto tranny out of and only paid $ 700 for the whole car. Sold the 8.8 posi and lots of other stuff and got a free motor pretty much.

Our local pick and pull junkyard gets $ 150 for a similar engine. Way too many unknowns in that motor you are looking at IMO.

Don

Thank You guys for the input...
So probably I will pass on that engine...like Don said, too many unknowns and since I am in europe i dont want to play with oredering wrong stuff for it;)

Latest posts

Back