1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Torchie, thanks for the help! My Dad said the same thing four for the engine and one for the filter.

What does 59 series engine mean?

I think my dip stick is... to small... can't believe I just said that!:eek:

Four quarts with one in the filter and it does not even register! Right now there is 6 quarts and it is WAY below add.

Might need to make a dipstick and mark it after doing an oil change.

Cleaned the plugs and adjusted the carb and now it runs pretty nice. Very slight valve noise. It smoked like crazy for a while but we had oiled the cylinders to keep it from sticking. It was also a little rich at idle and on the accelerator pump, but now seems good.

I believe that the 59 series refers to the 239 CI flathead. The block was brought out after WW2 and remained virtually unchanged till the end of the run for Ford flatheads in 1953.
The post war engines had 59 stamped on the bell housing and 59A on the heads. Then in 49 I think they went to stamping them 8ba for cars and 8rt (Which I think is the truck engine )then in the final run EAB. And of course they moved the location of the distributer as well as the water outlets in the heads.

As to the oil capacity, all I have seen is that the shape of the pan was changed to fit the changes in front suspensions but no talk of changing the capacity for trucks vs Cars.

It seems that there is no rhyme or reason for some of the things that Ford did and that it is also not unusual to find these old engines with the incorrect dip stick in them.
My last Flathead had a 8ba head on one side and a EAB head on the other side. LOL And it was pulled out of a F-6 big grain truck with dualies on the back. So who knows ??
Torchie

Made a adapter for the brake master cylinder. Used a hole saw and a drill press to make big hole. A little rough but will not be seen often I hope. Need to go from the three bolt to a mid 60's two bolt Corvette style MS. couldn't find the bolts I needed today so will wait to do on a business day.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpg
    IMG_3460.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 35
installed master cylinder

Adapter worked. Had to trim the bracket a bit to fit it all in but looks good.

Bought new rotors, pads and callipers for the 2003 Ford Sport Track differential I used. Also purchased adjustable proportioning valve as well as two 2 pound residual check valves. Now it is time to plumb it all together. Still need to get two front flex lines.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
Anyone know where to find front brake line specs? I need to choose front lines and can't find any spec info from which to make a choice.

I need to know fitting types for each end, (that is usually not a problem) and the overall length. That is hard to find with out just getting the parts guy to try every brake line in the warehouse.

thanks

OMG! that is funny. I forgot all about these guys. These guys can reline your brake shoes and pads. They did the shoes on my 1952 Dodge years ago. If your drums are out of spec they can reshape the surface of the shoes to match. Good guys. Thanks Crank!

bought a tilt bed trailer

now I can haul more junk cars home.:rolleyes: 24 foot high boy full tilt deck goose neck. I'm in the process of mounting a winch to the front of the deck so it can winch on dead vehicles.:D

Edmonton Brake and clutch can custom make flexible brake lines. They did it while I waited and look great. I have the front brakes plumbed in on the 49. Now I am waiting for the deep freeze weather to pass so I can get back out to the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.PNG
    IMG_1088.PNG
    122.8 KB · Views: 24
I was starting to think that you went AWOL again brother.:D
Get back at it. [P [P [P
I was out in my shop yesterday working and it was a balmy 19 degrees in there....:eek:
Torchie

Yeah, somehow life's gotten busier lately. I have done some work on the 49. Brakes are plumbed and just need a few line clips. Changed out a bent rear axle shaft. ready to build a driveshaft but need a lathe big enough to make it happen because I need to build yo and then turn down one end.

Yeah, somehow life's gotten busier lately. I have done some work on the 49. Brakes are plumbed and just need a few line clips. Changed out a bent rear axle shaft. ready to build a driveshaft but need a lathe big enough to make it happen because I need to build yo and then turn down one end.

Would it not be worth it just to get Pat's Driveline or a similar shop to make it?

That said, on mine we went to the junkyard with a tape measure and ended up finding an aluminum driveshaft the right length and nice and heavy.

Latest posts

Back