Pontiac or Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

I could pull the trigger on either of these. It appears that the Pontiac is priced to account for the fact that no replacement body parts are on the market. At least I couldn't find any. Does anybody know if other GM parts will fit? Namely the tail end. Of course, I could always try to learn how to work my English wheel.

Any suggestions, advice, sources for parts will be appreciated.

Thanks!

This '36 Pontiac 3-window coupe-
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/7128820123.html

00E0E_ciNc7t9Umbz_600x450.jpg

Or this 39 Chevy coupe for a lot more money.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/warren-1939-chevy-business-coupe-project/7146795296.html
00E0E_lGzAm8HEAEV_600x450.jpg

My 2 cents.
I really like the Pontiac . Being a 3 window makes it already look like a custom.
Chevy stuff might come close but I don’t think other GM stuff would.
Keep us posted 😎😎😎
Torchie

I also like the Pontiac and given recent experience, I could care less if anybody makes "replacement" panels for either car.

Oldsmobile "looks" like the Pontiac from the rear.

Pontiac

61258_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Olds... with '37/'38 Chevy tail lights. [S

IMGP2684-001.jpg

The tailpan doesn't look too complicated.

Be aware, you're going to have some wood in the Poncho...

Last edited:
The 36 Pontiac is a car that has wood inside the doors and elsewhere and not easy to deal with.
The 39 Chevy on the other hand is all steel and would be easier to work with.
That Chevy isn't worth near that much around here.

The 36 Pontiac is a car that has wood inside the doors and elsewhere and not easy to deal with.
The 39 Chevy on the other hand is all steel and would be easier to work with.
That Chevy isn't worth near that much around here.
My thoughts, also. The Poncho is definitely a "Wood is Good" project.

Both cars have been on CL for a long time. I contacted the Pontiac owner today for a chat and some tire kicking. I might look at the Chevy later, but I agree the price is a bit high. Unless it is really nicer than the pics indicate. It is a nice looking coupe, though. They both are!
We'll see what happens.

OK. Skip.
I got on a real computer and took a look at both cars.
As I posted earlier I really like the Pontiac Coupe.
Yes it has wood. But judging from the one picture of the inside of the door some of it looks to be in good shape yet. I would make that call when you see it in person.
Most of the areas that needed patches that I could see look to be fairly straight forward. The tail pan is another thing. But the tail pan on the Chevy is pretty crappy as well and like Doc says. Even if you found a replacement chances of it fitting are slim. Just plan on having to fab one.
Or find a metal knocker to make you one. I wouldn't let that break the deal but I would use it as a bargaining point.:eek: :cool: :D
I think that if you go and look at these cars you may find the Pontiac in the better shape of the two.
JMHO.
Torchie

My choice would most definitely be the Pontiac but, then again I'm a little slow. The wood isn't a deterrent to me either.

I assume you passed on both cars.

Do you still have that ugly '39 Ford, Skip? ;)

I never got a reply from the gentleman with the Pontiac. Sometimes I think people put up ads just to keep the Missus from ridin' on 'em about too many projects. [ddd:D

The 39 is alive and well, and waiting for a new home. I keep doing little things to it when the mood strikes me. I had a couple enquirers on it the last time I advertised it, but they fizzled after one reply. I am thinking it needs more exposure, but that is hard to do with all the lock-down stuff, and nothing going on.:rolleyes:

Some people are on a fishing expedition and some people think posting an ad instantly turns their crap into gold. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Skip. The right deal and the right guy for your '39 will come along, eventually!

Some people are on a fishing expedition and some people think posting an ad instantly turns their crap into gold. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Skip. The right deal and the right guy for your '39 will come along, eventually!

This one (my 39) ain't gold. That's for sure. Not even close. But it is a lot nicer than some offerings out there. It has been fun building it, and someone will have fun owning it someday. I'm not worried about it not finding its new home yet. As you say, eventually...

Latest posts

Back