bobber truck trend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree well said Don and Sam, but I will admit I'm as guilty as most. I try to do everything on my cars and sometimes I know I shouldn't. But I do believe in overkill versus just enough.

I recal seeing a one-page feature in HOT ROD back in the mid-late eighties, featuring a '35 Ford truck cab on the short T-bucket style frame.

The author claimed that the "Bobber" style of pickup truck build dated back to the forties or fifties, if I recall correctly.

Ditto on everyone's previous postings with regards to safety. I've always wondered why some people just have to go right over-the-top, busting the formula of what looks "right" as well as safety and common sense. [S Example-I dig lowered trucks (what would be called a "late model" here, by definition). Now, to me, an S-10 looks great about 3 inches lower than stock, will handle better than stock (if lowered properly) and should handle most all road conditions just fine...except perhaps deep snow.

Now, the same truck with bags, HUGE step-notch (C-notch, in hot-rod-ese), body-drop (channel, in hot-rod-ese), etc...so many violations of scrub-line, basic suspension geometry and common sense, well, you just gotta wonder....[S

Anyway, rant off. Do me a favour and warn me iff'n any of those 4 by's come my way.:eek:

Regards,
Shea:)

You guys need to find the good on those poorly built cars and trucks.

You stay far enough behind them, that as parts fall off, not only do you not get hurt, but you pull over, pick up the parts and sell them to other idiots building garbage. I see a fairly large market. [cl

I've noticed that the real "junk rods" are frequently trailered to events that are any distance from home. Because they are often uncomfortable and hard to drive they get very little use. If the bulk of their driving is chugging around a fairgrounds there's not too much to worry about. Here in the rust belt, a 12 year old rusted out econobox with the struts ready to fall out is more of a hazzard than a seldom driven poorly built hot rod.
I'm certainly not advocating bad construction, I just think it isn't that large a problem.

Come to think of it, some farmers in the depression 30's would take model T's, etc. and put short beds on 'em to make a truck. They had to use what they had. I've seen a couple pics of those as ditch finds on this site.

My dads 35 Ford was orignaly built in the mid 50s. It was sitting on a 40 Ford frame and was sectioned 13 inches and the orignal bed was shortned a lot,not sure how much. It is now on a aftermarket frame with a stock leanth bed. I dont have any pictures of it with the shortned bed on it.
Tim

I didn't mean to kill the thread , I thought it was an interesting subject. Just don't believe one person should tell another how to do their build. I am a believer in safe tho.

rainman the threadkiller

So how do you bob a sedan? Is that like when they put a little truck bed behind a chopped sedan body?

bobed sedan

[cll found one "bobbed" for ya:D

Attachments

• 4dr into elky.jpg
    4dr into elky.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back