54 Belair full Kustom

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmic12

Hey guys, I haven't been around much lately although I have to ck in once in a while to ck ZZ's Packard out, man hes good. Anyway I been very busy doing these dam restos but now I finally have a guy that wants me to build a full kustom 54 Belair, Oh boy! I am think'n MoonGlow ya can't wait!!!! problem is he wants me to chop it and use a 58 Impala roof and they just aren't that easy to come by so the search is on. So the plan is 58 roof, 56 Caddy headlight eyebrows and trim rings, Packard tails (looking for them also).
Remove the beltline bump from under the front and rear windshields so we can use flush glass and then Fleetline belt trim ending in a spear over the deck lid. Plan is all updated suspension with LS power. This is the same guy I did the 65 Malibu vert (SwitchBlade) for so some of you kinda know where we are going with it.
I found a nice body to start with and parts are being collected, going to be a long build but I need to find that roof.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_101843_072.jpg
    IMG_20141115_101843_072.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20141115_101925_058.jpg
    IMG_20141115_101925_058.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20141115_101914_729.jpg
    IMG_20141115_101914_729.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20141115_101935_723.jpg
    IMG_20141115_101935_723.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 82
Nice.
Be sure to put up a build thread.
Finding the roof will be interesting. Every one that I've wanted has always been attached to a car and for some reason they wouldn't let me just cut it off and buy just the roof.:eek:
Saw a set of 56 Packard tail lights and bezels on e-bay just recently. They may still be there.
[P [P [P :D [cl
Torchie.

SG, thanks, just answered back thanks again.:cool:

I will start a build thread when we start it, might be a bit because we want to get most parts piled up before and the top is proving to be a tough one for sure.. If I had a 58 Impala I wouldn't want to cut it up no matter what shape it was in. I have a lead on one in Pa. just waiting for info. Packard tails aren't real plentiful either but I have seen a few sets and they seam to be made of gold by the price's. I am excited about this build, should be a great car with all ride tech sys with bags and the LS power. I know how the Malibu runs and this should be as good or better. I will keep you guys posted for sure.

I will be watching closely..... I also plan to reshape the front fenders of my 54 and the tails which most will probably kill me for. Like the roof idea but that sounds like a nightmare.

i have seen a lot of custom 53/54 chevys and i like them. imo one of my favs is the one build on monster garage. good luck.

Attachments

• Jesse-james-1954-chevrolet-monster-garage7.jpg
    Jesse-james-1954-chevrolet-monster-garage7.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 31
Ya, I am kinda old school and would very much like to do it as a Moon Glow clone but he wants to modernize it and its his car so that's what we will do. I just hope it all works out. Pics of moon glow clones and a couple pics of the 58 roof.
The hope is that the roof will kinda pancake it and add that scoop along with that neat body line that makes for a nice 2/tone line. I wish I was able to do photo shop but I have a tuff enough time just posting pics l wouldn't stand a chance trying that.

Attachments

• imagesG9Q15JSU.jpg
    imagesG9Q15JSU.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 31
  • imagesDQ2V4QO8.jpg
    imagesDQ2V4QO8.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 35
  • imagesLSUDW6VR.jpg
    imagesLSUDW6VR.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 32
  • imagesBCXNYXPJ.jpg
    imagesBCXNYXPJ.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 1954_chevrolet_bel_air_custom_coupe_by_vertualissimo-d5qlm6x[1].jpg
    1954_chevrolet_bel_air_custom_coupe_by_vertualissimo-d5qlm6x[1].jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 31
Maybe my eyes are failing me but I'm struggling to see the advantage of the 58 roof...Is it just that it is flatter acrossed the top as apposed to the more rounded 54 roof? the side profile looks almost the same other than the cut back windshield post...I guess I need some more "customs" education. I'll admit they are out of my relm...

seems like i have seen a 53-54 bel air with a 58 impala roof, but i can't find it. i think what turned me on to the mg car is the ol timers that built it. i'll keep looking for that pic, it may have been in one of my old rags.

Last edited:
here is a couple pics i found, but they are on stock roof. lunch is over i'll try again later.

Attachments

• Packard on Olds_resized.jpg
    Packard on Olds_resized.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Packards on a 54_resized.jpg
    Packards on a 54_resized.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
Dumb question: Isn't the 58 wider than the 53-4? Won't you have to narrow it, and then , what do you do for rear glass? OK, 3 dumb questions.......:D

Ok, let me try to explain it better. All I really need is the skin. I will leave the stock roof frame , gutters ,window openings intact after the chop then use the skin to pancake it, "flatten it out a bit" and if you look close the 58 has a cool body line running across the back from B-pillar to B-pillar plus the scoop without the big chrome fake air intake will become a frenched in 3rd brake light. Also I will bring those lines down the center of the deck lid down to a frenched license plate.
Yes the 58 is wider and that is a plus when just using the skin.
This is all just in the dream stage I would love to get someone to photoshop it all for me but not having much luck.

You're talking about the lines going into that rear vent

aren't you...? like this....

Attachments

• 1958-chevrolet-impala-6.jpg
    1958-chevrolet-impala-6.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back