Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cab looks great on the frame Joe. Just read your optional non-truck paragraph and it brought back memories. I had a few plumbers like that in my contracting days. Had to take a chance on occasion to keep a job moving forward. When I found a keeper, things were good. :)

I may be done balancing cabs on a cherry picker too.. Learn as we go. [cl
Nice job fixing up the MIL CRV.

MIL bought a newer CRV today. looks like I am on the hook to sell the old one.

cut the cab up, I want seat belts in this one, its the number one request. I wanted the seat belt reel mount and couldnt get the lower torx out so I creatively cut the cab so I could keep the parts together till I could get that torx out.

IMG_0242 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

IMG_0252 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the old sculptor saying is "chip away everything that is not the elephant", so I applied that theory to the bed.

IMG_0246 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just because my forklift cant go to the mountain, I brought the mountain to my forklift. hooked it on the trailer hitch and drug it like a trailer.

IMG_0250 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just imagine doing this without a forklift!

IMG_0256-2 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

any guesses on weight?

IMG_0257-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

get within 50 lbs and you win both showcases. tomorrow (maybe tonight) I will pull the cab back off and remove the motor/trans to build new mounts.

way way low guys! my 2500HD says it can take 3600 lbs on the back (isnt that a 1 3/4 ton?) and I didnt get there but it squatted a bit! heck the 216 and trans is about 700 lbs if I remember. and that frame is a good 10" tall.

Due to a glitch the only foto that showed was a front axle and motor on my computer. Now I see there was most of the s10 tin too...heheh! I'd say my guess was a little light ...

is that a cordless sawzall I see [S I need one of those.
My oldest is concerned about my growing collection of treasures at the farm. half a truck here, engine over there., etc. I told him don't worry, you can deal with it after I'm gone :D
May need to haul a few loads out. Sure like your hauler. How about 1400lbs.

you guys arent brave enough I guess hahaha. it was 2290! I bet that frame stub with engine was 1800 lbs easy.

happy 4th! my favorite version of this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg

I did get some stuff done today too. its funny how much work it is to pull a motor, even from a bare frame. exhaust, driveshaft, all the wiring tie downs,grounds, cooler line adel clamps, motor and trans mounts etc etc etc. you even want to pull the dizzy and the oil pressure sender because the chain ALWAYS finds them

IMG_0262 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0263 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the first lift I noticed it was lifting a little crooked. then the passenger front wheel came off the ground. oops. remembered the exhaust but forgot the hanger haha

IMG_0264 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

everyone needs one of these. I texted my wife " I need a spotter " and before she even came outside the job was done.

IMG_0266 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

even pulling the cab off was a two minute job. its crazy how fast everything is with a forklift. pressure washed the frame and moved the motor inside on that cart I got a couple years ago now. love that thing, holds engine trans like it was made for it. oh and look, more broken clamshells.

IMG_0267 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0268 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0269 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

uppers are WASTED. I will probably replace the lowers too just to be complete about it. I am going to look at some drop spindles tomorrow, so apt timing. this sungun is gonna crawl the earth, mark my words.

MIL bought a newer CRV today. looks like I am on the hook to sell the old one.

cut the cab up, I want seat belts in this one, its the number one request. I wanted the seat belt reel mount and couldnt get the lower torx out so I creatively cut the cab so I could keep the parts together till I could get that torx out.

Good call on the seat belts. On my 50 GMC panel we installed the seatbelt/shoulder harness system that was in the 99 Sierra pickup cab. it was set up just like stock with the shoulder retractor inset into the pillar behind the door.
A month after I sold it, the guy that bought it from me clipped the butt end of a 3/4 ton suburban with it and then left the road hitting a power pole at about 50mph. He said the only thing that saved him was the seat belt/ shoulder harness.:eek:
lots of good progress.[P [P [P
Torchie

Thought I was brave at 1400lbs. :D
So why are those clam shells baked? A hot footed driver perhaps...what's "up" with those uppers.[S

yeah I am pretty impressed with the 2500HD. to tell the story again my father in law died and no one really wanted his truck: std cab flatbed, center seat missing, rollemups and lockemups, rubber mat floor. I raised my hand and I have hauled I think half the weight of the moon with it (I may be overshooting but just a bit).

what REALLY impresses me is I hauled that frame stub as a half truck, with the current half truck in this project ALSO on the trailer. I wondered why it was squatting so much, now I know. I bet there was 5000 lbs on that trailer.

to answer your question I missed, my wife bought me that brushless sawzall for christmas and it is awesomo.

I kind of have a habit of keeping track of all the broken clamshell mounts, so far its 100% on these trucks.

and the upper control arm bushings are almost gone. funny because the steering parts are all new except the idler. I will do uppers/lowers and new end links/sway bushes. of course new shocks and brakes, unless these look ok on closer inspection.

That flatbed is nice. Considering a truck upgrade myself. Must be the 4.3 munching the mounts. My 2.8 mounts are all fine., perhaps the little engine is easier on stuff.
Still grinding on those dumb rear chassis mounts. Theyre right in my way after I shortened my chassis.

well only the 4.3 used clamshells. I think they sell em broken because like I said its 100%. some guys who do V8 swaps switch to the 2.8 mounts.

had some time for the motor mounts today. I use a standard SBC V8 mount from the local auto parts store, in this case I told them 1970 Chevelle with a 307. 7 bucks each. less if you order them! Then I get some pieces of 3/8 sch 40 pipe from the hardware store, and some 3 3/4" grade 8 bolts nuts and washers. I cut the pipe to fit the mounts with a pipe cutter because its cleaner but no where near as fast as the zip disc.

IMG_0276 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0277 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0278 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I mock it up in the right position and build the drivers mount first. to keep the mounts square with each other I cut some bars with holes centered 16.5" apart. This makes it easy to keep the proper spacing, and I measure from the floor to the mount to make sure the angle is right on the mounts. easy peasy, rice and cheesy.

IMG_0283 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0285 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0286 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0288 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0289 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow I will do the trans mount and cut the firewall for the trans. I have a little work to do on Hannah tomorrow too, I will see where I get to.

its not bad dozer, soon I will have a frame jig you just lay on the frame and it holds the parts in the right spot!

late start today, lots of extraneous stuff going on.

the s10 frame gets narrower as it goes back so how on earth do you move the mount back a precise amount? well this is how I did it. I dropped a plumb line through the center of the mount and made a chalk mark. then I dropped a level on the outside of the framerails and drew some more chalk lines. using those I was able to draw a centerline of the mount and where it needed to be 8 3/4" back.

IMG_0290 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0291 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I decided on ear mounts, I used the stock 4 bolts before but not on this new of a frame, there was a support in the way that I didnt want to remove. I cut the passenger side roughly where it needed and closed up the cut end. the crossmember was completely full of rocks and grit, it took two sawzall blades for that one cut. I also took about an inch out of the cut on the drivers side. I need to put the gussets on and drill the holes but I think it will work out great.

IMG_0292 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0294 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0296 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0297 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you can see the extra frame bracket/gusset on the passenger side in the last picture.

not to soapbox again, but I was disappointed by a seller again today. He advertised some wheels and tires for a good price, but when I got there the tires were gone. he said no the price was just for the wheels, well your ad pictures show tires and makes no mention of wheels only. he was 30 minutes out of town and what it came down to was he wanted 80 dollars less than brand new for some used torq thrusts with pits in the chrome. he seemed offended I didnt want them. this is the second time in a week I wasted time driving for a misleading ad, are people getting worse or are just more sellers in the market?

No surprise that crossmember was full of crud. I see the gusset, But not understanding how it attaches to the chassis., rest on a tab maybe [S

Bummer about the misleading ads. kinda like having a bad plumber, or bad renter. Will happen on occasion. Best to move on, stay positive. :)
[P

Latest posts

Back