Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Need help identifying an item! What the heck is it?!?

Need help identifying an item! What the heck is it?!? Need help identifying a part, car or what ever... post it here!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Troadster View Post
does look like a devin in a way and away not. bet there was a lot of changes over the years they were made. the doors do look like they are cut deeper down in the body and that may be a way to close in on the year. i do agree with bama on the rearend but i say olds or pontiac.
I think what is throwing people (and me) off is the rear section. But then the "Special" models could be ordered in any configuration you asked for. Very well could be a one off body for someone who asked for the flat rear.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 09-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Are you familiar with Geoff Hacker's "Forgotten Fiberglass"? He might solve your mystery!

https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com...en-fiberglass/

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM
''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''

Default Fiberclassics

https://www.facebook.com/fiberclassics/

maybe here might be some info.

Later

1928 maxwell hybrid build/drag car
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37455

1948 dodge truck in deceased son's memory.
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/sho...odge+truck+son

1930 2dr mopar.
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ht=30+mopar+dr
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Are you familiar with Geoff Hacker's "Forgotten Fiberglass"? He might solve your mystery!

https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com...en-fiberglass/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post

So I contacted a couple of these sites and low and behold we have a winner! Geoff Hacker identified it as a Byers CR-90 which came out just after the first Devin came out. Word has it that Jim Byers liked the look of the Devin and tweaked it a little bit. The nose is slightly shorter, it's deeper through the doors etc. But even after identifying it there seems to be a few more questions like there were only ever 12 CR-90 bodies made and to all the experts recollection and digging nobody can ever place one being built with the flat rear section. Also Byers was said to have used chopped fiberglass to make his bodies but this one is laid in mat. All the dimensions match a CR-90. The search for info continues...

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

I had what I thought was a Devin. Traded a glass Bantam roadster body for it. Never did anything with it and really never researched it to know if it was a real Devin.

The flat rear panel is not in keeping with the style of the rest of the body and could have been an owner modification. Are there any signs of that?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
I had what I thought was a Devin. Traded a glass Bantam roadster body for it. Never did anything with it and really never researched it to know if it was a real Devin.

The flat rear panel is not in keeping with the style of the rest of the body and could have been an owner modification. Are there any signs of that?
As near as I can tell by sticking my head under it it looks like it was molded at the same time as the rest of the body. I'll be able to get a better look at it when I can get my lift cleared so I can put it up in the air

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Interesting subject!

Curiosity forced me to do some reading... seems even the experts disagree and/or contradict themselves...

For instance, one of Hacker's articles said Byers hand laid his bodies, anything post Byers was chop gun constructed.

Another piece I read (somewhere), was a letter to somebody asking to identify his find (which turned out to be a CR-90). The guy argued, "It's a Devin. I should know. I'm president of the Devin registry" or fan club or something along those lines. Ha!

Just thinking out loud... you might have a "splash" copy on your hands. Nobody knows where the molds went or how many copies exist, genuine or not...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan